Replacing a 7.5 ton crankshaft?

Interesting indeed. Not at all like the big block chevys I used to run....

We had Stewart & Stevens overhaul a big EMD on a drillship. Somehow one bearing cap didn’t get torqued properly. It came from together in a sort of explosive fashion. Yeah, stuff like in the video happened...offshore, not dockside...

It was normal to do all overhauls why operating (no extra downtime allowed). This particular overhaul was a little more involved after engine bits had deposited themselves about the engine room in a random fashion.

This is a fun vid, replacing a 7.5 ton crankshaft on a large cruise ship diesel:

I can relate to that - I was once intimately involved with pulling a 2 Megawatt alternator off a 16 cylinder EMD marine diesel, sending it off for overhaul,
then reinstalling it when it came back. That was a big job - but this one is an order of magnitude bigger. Where there's a Will there's a Way.

Dave

I can relate to that - I was once intimately involved with pulling a 2 Megawatt alternator off a 16 cylinder EMD marine diesel, sending it off for overhaul,
then reinstalling it when it came back. That was a big job - but this one is an order of magnitude bigger. Where there's a Will there's a Way.

Dave
I don’t recall any alternator rebuilds. Lots of traction motor rebuilds and one big honkin’ thruster rebuild. The rotor was about six feet in diameter. GE in New Orleans was the overhaul shop. Had to drive through some housing projects to get there. Don’t stop at the lights, slowngo.

My neighbor does engine repairs on ocean-going diesels like that.

The guy's wife got ****ed off when I left their company a Yelp review:

I was out on Lake Norman and the Sulzer RT-flex 485 in my ski boat started making an odd noise and barely making 8000 HP, I called Mike and the guys at XXX Diesel right away. They came right out and fixed the injection control unit and now she sings again!

Engine was at 2,000,010 hrs (10 past TBO) and new owner decided to OH.
Some folks operate close to that. We were testing the use of oil centrifuges and extending the overhaul intervals on 399 cats when I was involved. The used parts went to cat for inspection but I never got to look at the reports. There were some negative opinions and a lot of office politics about the whole thing. Pretty sad considering the costs involved.

Also saw the extreme end of the spectrum when we chartered a rig that had been run hard and put up wet. All engines were well over TBO and the rig went dark pretty much daily. All hands carried flashlights all the time. The engines were French and the overhaul kits weren’t off-the-shelf. Air freight from Paris to Buenos Aires then overland to Punta Arenas then workboat to the Falklands. What a royal pain just to get stuff there. Note to staff, overhaul the damn rig before sending it to the backside of nowhere.

Back