Replacement radio for 1967 Skylane

Although it goes in the rack with no modifications it is a different brand of radio so the IA that took care of the club airplanes did the log entry and changed the equipment list. Kind of one of those grey areas and CYA deals. Don

Show me where the equipment list requires a brand name to be entered.

VOR/VHF # 1 is the nomenclature entered. XXX pounds at ARM XX. O or R

If you were to remove 2 Nav Coms and thier nav heads and all the wiring, racks and put 1 small new solid state radio in their place, then you have a W&B adjustment to make.

A question for the OP and any other still reading this thread.

If this is a VFR aircraft and only used in Eastern Wa.

What radio does he need?

What TD is getting to here, is, it really depends on what your reasonable IA will "return to service" at the annual inspection. I rather suspect a slide in MX-12 replacement or RT 385 slide in will be acceptable to most IAs.

Then the only other question is W&B...."negligible?"

Then the only other question is W&B...."negligible?"

The direct replacement part can not be a different weight. I forget what the allowance can be.

It's like point zip. to nothing.

What TD is getting to here, is, it really depends on what your reasonable IA will "return to service" at the annual inspection.

They have no choice, when FAR 43-A allows preventive maintenance and it is signed off properly, they can not deny the legality of it.

ON radio removal, here is the kicker, when you remove the racks and wiring, clamps and nav heads. That is maintenance and must be returned to service as Bruce stated.

But when you slide out an old radio and replace it with a direct replacement radio that is allowed under FAR 43-A and can be returned to service by the pilot/owner/operator.

ON radio removal, here is the kicker, when you remove the racks and wiring, clamps and nav heads. That is maintenance and must be returned to service as Bruce stated.

But when you slide out an old radio and replace it with a direct replacement radio that is allowed under FAR 43-A and can be returned to service by the pilot/owner/operator.

So what is the big deal about making a log entry stating the radio change and changing the equipment list to show it has a MX 12 radio instead of a Narco MK 12? Don

So what is the big deal about making a log entry stating the radio change and changing the equipment list to show it has a MX 12 radio instead of a Narco MK 12? Don

There is no big deal, it's simply not required to state the manufacturer

For Tom D.....although I said I fly strictly VFR and in Eastern Washington I do make some cross countries to South Lake Tahoe, also fly into Montana occaisionally as well as into Sun Valley, and other parts of Idaho. Like to keep in touch with flight following. Keeps my wife happy to know someone is watching us. Also fly into class D airspace frequently.

For Tom D.....although I said I fly strictly VFR and in Eastern Washington I do make some cross countries to South Lake Tahoe, also fly into Montana occaisionally as well as into Sun Valley, and other parts of Idaho. Like to keep in touch with flight following. Keeps my wife happy to know someone is watching us. Also fly into class D airspace frequently.

If you fly over Sun Valley way I'm in Twin Falls. Stop by and I'll trade N3N time for a golf lesson. The MXs are the best solution for you. Really is a no brainer. Don

This for the OP. Go to the avionics shop where you want to do the installation. Ask them if they have any spare radios, they often do. I picked up my number 2 comm that way and got it cheaper than I could have off Ebay. Speaking of which, another good place to get good used avionics. Lots of folks are ripping out the old avionics from their aircraft to put in the latest gizmos, and what came out is perfectly functional and could work for many years.

This for the OP. Go to the avionics shop where you want to do the installation. Ask them if they have any spare radios, they often do. I picked up my number 2 comm that way and got it cheaper than I could have off Ebay. Speaking of which, another good place to get good used avionics. Lots of folks are ripping out the old avionics from their aircraft to put in the latest gizmos, and what came out is perfectly functional and could work for many years.
:yeahthat:

A question for the OP and any other still reading this thread.

If this is a VFR aircraft and only used in Eastern Wa.

What radio does he need?

Eastern WA? He needs at least one radio as there is some class C/D airspace and if he wants to fly there a radio is needed. And while it is legal to fly to an uncontrolled field NORDO, I'd recommend a radio around KPUW. It can get busy there.

Eastern WA? He needs at least one radio as there is some class C/D airspace and if he wants to fly there a radio is needed. And while it is legal to fly to an uncontrolled field NORDO, I'd recommend a radio around KPUW. It can get busy there.

OK he needs a com, transponder, and mode C, Why not pull all the com/navs that do not work, along with their nav heads, and keep the transponder mode C, ELT, and replace with one VAL COM 2000, and a good intercom as a prewired package that his local A&P can install?

OK he needs a com, transponder, and mode C, Why not pull all the com/navs that do not work, along with their nav heads, and keep the transponder mode C, ELT, and replace with one VAL COM 2000, and a good intercom as a prewired package that his local A&P can install?

No argument about pulling the stuff that doesn't work. Always nice to pick up some additional payload. If you don't need a full stack for IFR, a simple stack such as you recommend should do the job.

Are you going to keep the plane? What equipment do you want to fly with? People say 50-75 hrs not worth it, but it depends on which 50-75 hrs and exactly where you are spending them in your neck of the woods. I like you am a VFR pilot, I put a G500 and 430w in mine, flying in the mountains is where SVT shines best.

Last edited:
Back