Replacement parts and PMAs

Fearless Tower

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Fearless Tower
Running into a little problem in the parts realm:

I basically need a new gascolator for a 1948 Cessna 170 (main body of mine is badly pitted from corrosion and needs to be replaced). The original part is no longer made/available.

Now, there are replacement gascolators that are available which are a modification of the original design. There is a model PMA'd for the Cessna 140 and one PMA'd for the Cessna 170 A and B.

Problem is that it is not PMA'd for the 1948 170 which used essentially the same gascolator as the 140. Some folks on another board have told me that since it is the same part, the PMA for the 140 should cover the 170. But further complicating the process, the part was re-numbered by Cessna when they made the 170. I was told that in the 140, Cessna used a manufacturer's part number for the gascolator and they gave the same part a Cessna part number in the 170. In other words, different part number, but 99% sure that it is the same part.

So.....what to do?

Can the 140 model be installed in my aircraft as is, or do I need a Field Approval to install it. I believe I need a 337 to make it legit. Waiting to hear what my A&P IA has to say.

...got a Sharpie?

Or, take the gasculator assembly, drill an extra hole in it "for safety wire" and then YOU have become the manufacturer, which in accordance with 21.303 (b)(2) relieves you of the requirement for PMA.

This section was written primarily for antique/classic aircraft owners for whom parts have become unavailable due to the age of the aircraft.

Jim

See if Steve's Aircraft gascolator is STC'd for your plane. If so buy 2. One for the plane and the second one for a coffee table decoration. They're works of art. :)

Paul
N1431A
2AZ1

Or, take the gasculator assembly, drill an extra hole in it "for safety wire" and then YOU have become the manufacturer, which in accordance with 21.303 (b)(2) relieves you of the requirement for PMA.

This section was written primarily for antique/classic aircraft owners for whom parts have become unavailable due to the age of the aircraft.

Jim

So true, and a tremendous benefit to those of us with older aircraft!!

See if Steve's Aircraft gascolator is STC'd for your plane.
That is the problem - it is not.

STC'd/PMA'd for the 140 and the 170A and B. NOT for the 170 - I asked them.

At this point, it looks like I either need to buy the Steve's part for the 140 and get a Field Approval for my airplane, or find someone with a 140 who upgraded to the Steve's model and is willing to sell their old one.

I'd like to get the Steve's model, but getting a Field Approval these days seems to be a royal pain in the arse.

I basically need a new gascolator for a 1948 Cessna 170 (main body of mine is badly pitted from corrosion and needs to be replaced). The original part is no longer made/available.

Now, there are replacement gascolators that are available which are a modification of the original design. There is a model PMA'd for the Cessna 140 and one PMA'd for the Cessna 170 A and B.

Problem is that it is not PMA'd for the 1948 170 which used essentially the same gascolator as the 140. Some folks on another board have told me that since it is the same part, the PMA for the 140 should cover the 170. But further complicating the process, the part was re-numbered by Cessna when they made the 170. I was told that in the 140, Cessna used a manufacturer's part number for the gascolator and they gave the same part a Cessna part number in the 170. In other words, different part number, but 99% sure that it is the same part.

So.....what to do?

Can the 140 model be installed in my aircraft as is, or do I need a Field Approval to install it. I believe I need a 337 to make it legit. Waiting to hear what my A&P IA has to say.

The one you need looks like this. it is the same item used from 1946 thru 63.

Wentworth should have one, be sure you get a glass bowl

Attachments

• 0f180e00.JPG
    0f180e00.JPG
    29.6 KB · Views: 21

So.....what to do?

The 140 and the 170 are not on the same type certificate, so.... you need a part that is STCed or a field approval to install any thing else.

Read this:
http://comanchegear.com/Owner_Produced_Parts.pdf
It may help solve your problem.

It seems to me if got a replacement gascolator and instructed your A&P to build a functioning gascolator (I would do it in writing, so there's a trail of direction and supervision), that would qualify as an owner produced part.

Another option would be to assemble the gascolator yourself. That would certainly be owner produced.

Last edited:
The one you need looks like this. it is the same item used from 1946 thru 63.

Wentworth should have one, be sure you get a glass bowl

Actually that looks like the one for the 170A and B. The ragwing used a different gascolator which was the same used on the 140. The ragwing gascolator has a glass dome instead of a glass cylinder and the dome is mounted upright.

Actually that looks like the one for the 170A and B. The ragwing used a different gascolator which was the same used on the 140. The ragwing gascolator has a glass dome instead of a glass cylinder and the dome is mounted upright.

What you are looking for is a Koehler fuel strainer. Figure 38 Item 37....

Good Luck,

The replacement is Item 32 on the same figure, P/N 0550108

Get the IPB from Univair it shows both on figure 38 with out a usable on code,,,,, meaning either fits both.

What you are looking for is a Koehler fuel strainer. Figure 38 Item 37....

Good Luck,

The replacement is Item 32 on the same figure, P/N 0550108

Get the IPB from Univair it shows both on figure 38 with out a usable on code,,,,, meaning either fits both.

Pardon my ingnorance, but what is the IPB?

"Why, that gasculator bowl has been there all the time I've owned this airplane."
That might avoid a sanction for violating Part 43, but it would still leave your airplane grounded until the situation was cleaned up properly per Part 43.

Pardon my ingnorance, but what is the IPB?
Illustrated Parts Breakdown. It's a big book with blow-up pictures of each item including each individual element such as the nuts and bolts which hold the two halves of something together. It also gives you the part number for each one of those parts.

Illustrated Parts Breakdown. It's a big book with blow-up pictures of each item including each individual element such as the nuts and bolts which hold the two halves of something together. It also gives you the part number for each one of those parts.
Is that the same as the Illustrated Parts Manual/Catalog?

That might avoid a sanction for violating Part 43, but it would still leave your airplane grounded until the situation was cleaned up properly per Part 43.

Exactly - plus it makes it difficult to sell if noticed on the pre-buy (and it would be pretty obvious.

Last edited:
Two times a ASI questioned my 48's gascolator, they though it was a tractor part.
They thought it was a tractor part...because it WAS - 1930's tractor technology used by Cessna at the factory!

Are you kidding? He's an A&P/IA whom the FAA consults on maintenance matters -- he must be right!

Did a simple Google search trying to help out the OP find a part and help him out. Even though the ad identified it as for the C-170 Tom correctly pointed out it was not for the OP's model. ( I don't operate a C-170 nor do I have an IPC for one)

Too bad you can't add anything productive to the conversation.

They thought it was a tractor part...because it WAS - 1930's tractor technology used by Cessna at the factory!

Yes, and Cessna wasn't smart enough to change the P/N, they used Kohler's numbers, So now when you use a tractor part from Kohler the ASI's see the number in the IPC/IPB. That's all they can go by.

But the one I showed you to start is a better gascolator, and is acceptable as a replacement for the Kohler. because it is shown in the 48 IPC/IPB with no usable on code listed.

But the one I showed you to start is a better gascolator, and is acceptable as a replacement for the Kohler. because it is shown in the 48 IPC/IPB with no usable on code listed.
Tom, where do you see the usable codes? The Illustrated Parts Catalog I have for the '48 only shows the part numbers and number of units required to be installed on the plane.

Tom, where do you see the usable codes? The Illustrated Parts Catalog I have for the '48 only shows the part numbers and number of units required to be installed on the plane.

Exactly... Both numbers are there, So use either

Usable on codes are in Cessna's manuals, when they cover more than one model serial number sequence. Your manual is a one model publication so only the numbers that pertain to that aircraft are there. So no usable on codes are required.

Back