Replacement Glass

tmyers

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Tim Myers
In the quest to see better, I am interested in what most do when replacing the windscreen and side windows of their aircraft.

Looks like the OEM for my Arrow was .125" plexiglass. I can purchase the .125" or .178" or .250". Each has more sound deadening qualities and a higher price tag.

I would assume the thicker glass might have better resistance to birds but not sure if it is enough to consider it.

Also did you go with tinting or not and what shade or color.

What say ye?

In the quest to see better, I am interested in what most do when replacing the windscreen and side windows of their aircraft.

Looks like the OEM for my Arrow was .125" plexiglass. I can purchase the .125" or .178" or .250". Each has more sound deadening qualities and a higher price tag.

I would assume the thicker glass might have better resistance to birds but not sure if it is enough to consider it.

Also did you go with tinting or not and what shade or color.

What say ye?

I like gray tint.

I wouldn't pay for the thicker ones after reading the measured effects of these kinds of mods.

http://www.airmod.com/articles/PDF/cpa1soundproofing.pdf

Don't know and haven't seen any claims about bird strike resistance.

You won't want to go with the .250 if you came with .125. Great lakes recommends .187. Tint, is all preference, but i think the gray would go really well with your airplane!!

Have you considered a 1 piece windshield?

You won't want to go with the .250 if you came with .125. Great lakes recommends .187. Tint, is all preference, but i think the gray would go really well with your airplane!!

Have you considered a 1 piece windshield?

+1 on the one piece. They look slick

Not familiar with the installation of the one piece. Does the center bar go away and if so where does the mag compass mount?

Checked out the LP website. Their one piece is .25" standard, and some of the 77 Arrows came with .25" glass as standard. $708 in cost and it comes with a replacement mullion for the center structural support.

Texas Aero plastics advertises similar item for $637

The two piece would cost $416 for the .187" and $468 for the .25" from GLAPINC.

Looks cool, center bar is still there. Just not supporting the windsheilds any more. At least on our Seneca that is how it works.

164d1295219824-3rd-window-stc-install-64-pa28-windshield.jpg

Note the tube running down the center behind the windshield

That does look pretty good, Do you mount the compass to the new tube?

Our Seneca has it on the tube, I like it there

Also if there is any doubt in your mind about doing it "soon" it would also be the time to recover your glare shield.

Our Seneca has it on the tube, I like it there

Also if there is any doubt in your mind about doing it "soon" it would also be the time to recover your glare shield.
And if you are going to recover the glare shield..... :D

Yeah, Yeah Yeah, New GTN750, New Mode S transponder, New HSI, New altitude hold AP, Built-in espresso machine. I know where your going with this.

I need a rich partner.

Definitely want to get the 1-piece windshield - it will look significantly slicker.

I would definitely go for the thicker windshield and windows in general. It will reduce your cabin noise for a negligible weight increase.

As far as tint goes, on the windshield I don't know what the standard is, but I'd think a tint would be bad for night flying, no? For side windows, tint is nice. We have tint on the rear windows of the 310, which looks cool and also does a great deal for reducing the temperature back there in the summer.

I tend to agree with you Ted, While tinting might look cool the whole purpose of the replacement is visibility.

I really think I might try to clean the side windows up by resurfacing the plexiglass. Since they are flat they should be easier to fix up. If it doesn't help much I can always go for the replacement.

Most new planes come tinted from the factory, it really isn't much, and when I do a windshield in my plane it will be a grey tint, I find can actually see out of them better at night than my green one

The only downside I can see to the one piece beyond the initial cost is that if you do hit something and break it, you will be in for a whole new screen. A half can be replaced for less than most insurance deductibles.

Granted when I broke one I broke both halves!:hairraise:

Last edited:
Back