replacement fuel caps

gitmo234

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
gitmo234
I'm looking for a few leads on where I can go to pick up a new fuel cap (or a set) for a 1956 C172.

The cap on my left tank decided to unscrew itself and run away recently and I'd like to get it replaced ASAP. If there's some sort of aftermarket part that has a better seal, that's good too.

Any good sources?

I'm looking for a few leads on where I can go to pick up a new fuel cap (or a set) for a 1956 C172.

The cap on my left tank decided to unscrew itself and run away recently and I'd like to get it replaced ASAP. If there's some sort of aftermarket part that has a better seal, that's good too.

Any good sources?

wentworth aircraft salvage

The original part number for those unvented caps is 0311360-4 ... there are a couple currently on eBay

Per Cessna, these older caps have been replaced with vented caps, part #C156003-0101. A link to a few listings on eBay here.

I'll bet that salvage yard in Clinton, AR has them. I flew in to Clinton muni and that have themselves quite a nice bone yard.

The original part number for those unvented caps is 0311360-4 ... there are a couple currently on eBay

Per Cessna, these older caps have been replaced with vented caps, part #C156003-0101. A link to a few listings on eBay here.

Beware of the AD that demands a vented cap on at least the right tank. Also be aware that old vented caps have weak silicone vent check valves that let water into the tank in heavy rain or if snow piles up over them.

New Cessna caps aren't that expensive.

Dan

Definitely would go with new. Its worth the small investment. Before this water in the tank was never an issue.

EDIT: went with the second link to the AD replacement caps

Last edited:
Beware of the AD that demands a vented cap on at least the right tank. Also be aware that old vented caps have weak silicone vent check valves that let water into the tank in heavy rain or if snow piles up over them.

New Cessna caps aren't that expensive.

Dan
Why would a vented cap be required on the right tank but not on the left tank? Seems to me if only one vented cap is required what difference which tank it's on?

Why would a vented cap be required on the right tank but not on the left tank? Seems to me if only one vented cap is required what difference which tank it's on?

Because the one tank vent on the Cessnas is ported directly to the left fuel tank? :dunno:

I honestly haven't studied the tank vent system on Cessnas that close but that would be my first guess. In any case, it doesn't sound like it matters now since Cessna wants vented caps on both tanks.

Because the one tank vent on the Cessnas is ported directly to the left fuel tank? :dunno:

I honestly haven't studied the tank vent system on Cessnas that close but that would be my first guess. In any case, it doesn't sound like it matters now since Cessna wants vented caps on both tanks.
The one tank vent on my '53 Cessna 170B is in the center on top of the fuselage so I assume it's centered on a crossover vent pipe and vents both tanks? When I bought the airplane it had a vented cap on the right and an original non-vented cap on the left. I found they fit better the other way so I switched 'em, sounds like I'll have to get another vented cap and put vented caps on both tanks to be legal?

The one tank vent on my '53 Cessna 170B is in the center on top of the fuselage so I assume it's centered on a crossover vent pipe and vents both tanks? When I bought the airplane it had a vented cap on the right and an original non-vented cap on the left. I found they fit better the other way so I switched 'em, sounds like I'll have to get another vented cap and put vented caps on both tanks to be legal?

The way I read the AD Dan Thomas linked I'd say you'd need a second vented cap.

I forgot about the top center tank vents on the 170s. I was thinking of the 172 style tank vent that is located behind the wing strut when I proposed that theory on why only the right tank needed a vented cap. :)

I was told the answer once, but forgot. I'll ask again and report back but it was something fairly logical.

I have an old set from a 67 150-G model that you can have for the cost of shipping if you find they work. They are not cosmetically pretty but appear to be functional. Can't find a p/n on them.

Beware eBay, sellers vastly overinflate the price, you can get them cheaper from A/C Spruce or Lane Aviation new.

One last comment, Real Gaskets sells replacement seals for them that do an amazing job snugging up fuel caps that have become loose. Cheap insurance to help keep water out of your tanks.

I tried to sell them and got no bites so if you (or anyone for that matter) can use them, lemme know.

Attachments

• photo 5.JPG
    photo 5.JPG
    71.1 KB · Views: 22
  • photo 4.JPG
    photo 4.JPG
    59.1 KB · Views: 22
The biggest issue I've had with Ebay was with my placards. My airplane (and her beautiful shotgun panel) didnt have any placards... none. To top it off, they were hard to find since they were in MPH and had some slightly different things listed than most. Went through the TCDS and found the listing for every single placard and book required for my serial number, including wording.

I found someone with the proper placard stickers on ebay and ordered them. High quality stuff but it took 60 days to get here.

Maybe I'm used to ordering something on ebay and getting it shipped the next day, early in the AM with a confirmation email and that's unusual. Two things ordered that were aviation related and they both seem to not follow the usual

Back