Replacement for Outlook?

TangoWhiskey

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
3Green
I have a friend in Seattle who is trying to migrate away from Microsoft Office. He has OpenOffice and likes it, but called me last night to ask "what to use instead of Outlook". When I suggested Gmail or Thunderbird, he said "yeah, but neither of those have to-do lists, calendar, etc., and I use those religiously". When I told him Google has an online Calendar that works well, he said "does it sync with my PDA for offline access"?

Hmmm... he doesn't have an iPhone, so we're talking about true offline sync. Anybody know of a good open-source mail/calendar/to-do-list Outlook replacement?

Better yet will be if it can import the Outlook items he already has during install...

I have a friend in Seattle who is trying to migrate away from Microsoft Office. He has OpenOffice and likes it, but called me last night to ask "what to use instead of Outlook". When I suggested Gmail or Thunderbird, he said "yeah, but neither of those have to-do lists, calendar, etc., and I use those religiously". When I told him Google has an online Calendar that works well, he said "does it sync with my PDA for offline access"?

Hmmm... he doesn't have an iPhone, so we're talking about true offline sync. Anybody know of a good open-source mail/calendar/to-do-list Outlook replacement?

Better yet will be if it can import the Outlook items he already has during install...

Id hes using a blackberry he'll want to look into GoogleSync. Beyond that, I know of nothing.

There is a lot in the works but NOTHING that compares to Outlook. Even my open source/*nix nutters in my technical operations groups say that with Outlook Microsoft "got it right". *shrug*

There is a lot in the works but NOTHING that compares to Outlook. Even my open source/*nix nutters in my technical operations groups say that with Outlook Microsoft "got it right". *shrug*

I was going to say that Outlook is the one part of MS Office that I couldn't do without. Coupled to an Exchange server and we'd die without it. There are substitutes for the rest of the suite, but Outlook stands alone in its capabilities. And we're getting a new version of Exchange this week that will enhance the functionality even further.

>but Outlook stands alone in its capabilities

the mind boggles....

>but Outlook stands alone in its capabilities

the mind boggles....

I hear ya, but it is true. Outlook + Exchange (especially 2007) is simply the best calendar/PIM on the market, period.

As others have stated, for Word or Excel there are decent alternatives, but nothing touches Outlook with Exchange, nothing.

What kind of PDA? I've worked with a few open-source calender / scheduling / PIM programs over the years (though not recently) that worked decently with a Palm. Most of them originally were written for Linux, but I'm sure some have been ported to Windows.

You may want to try looking through Sourceforge to see what's available. They have more than 600 projects listed under calendering. (Unfortunately, their search server is down at the moment, so that was about as far as I could get.)

Rich

I hear ya, but it is true. Outlook + Exchange (especially 2007) is simply the best calendar/PIM on the market, period.

As others have stated, for Word or Excel there are decent alternatives, but nothing touches Outlook with Exchange, nothing.
Zimbra is pretty close for an Exchange replacement. For many people the AJAXY web client is more useful than Outlook. For others that still want/need Outlook they can still use it.
http://www.zimbra.com/

In the end, I agree, that Exchange makes the most sense for many businesses.

Nothing touches the combo, assuming its relatively limited abilities are sufficient for your needs...

I guess I just don't understand adulation for jamming multiple functionally distinct capabilities together.

I guess I just don't understand adulation for jamming multiple functionally distinct capabilities together.

Only if you need them together, for certain.

The linkage of contacts with documents with time with calendar with notes...

Back