Replacement for Narco AT50

creweite

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Creweite
Like a lot of folks, I have an ancient Narco AT50 transponder, and am considering an update to be ADS-B compliant. An A&P told me that there is a slide in replacement for the AT50 that meets the requirement, but in scanning what is available I do not see such an item. Has anyone an input on this?

Never heard of such a thing. Both Garmin and L-3 make solutions that will fit where your AT-50 is but it's not a "slide in" replacement. THere's no possible way to do that. You're either going to have to have an external WAAS GPS cabled to the thing OR it would have to have an internal WAAS GPS and that would require an antenna connection (the transponder antenna won't cut it).

I haven't heard of an ADS-B capable slide in replacement for an AT50 transponder. Maybe the details were muddled with the King KT76a (and some others) which can be replaced by the Trig TT31 1090es transponder and its cousins (King KT-74 and others). The Triggs (and cousins) can be installed in the KT-76a tray and the only electrical connections needed are GPS wiring and probably a new antenna coax. The STC also calls for a squat switch or a pitot pressure switch to be installed.

Using the KT-76a tray precludes using one of the transponder's connectors, so it imposes some limits on the configuration options available.

Not much help to you, though.

Like a lot of folks, I have an ancient Narco AT50 transponder, and am considering an update to be ADS-B compliant. An A&P told me that there is a slide in replacement for the AT50 that meets the requirement, but in scanning what is available I do not see such an item. Has anyone an input on this?

<---- same situation here.

For the money the L 3 is probably an inexpensive way to go.

For the money the L 3 is probably an inexpensive way to go.
My avionics guy is loaning me a Narco At-50 because mine died. It is not a slide in with the L-3 Lynx. Waited for install till the FAA rebate program started.
L-3 Lynx 9000 D+ $8450.00 installed ,plane going in this week. Have ADS-B rebate conformation .
Final cost should be $7950.00
I needed a new transponder anyway so I didn't think the $ hit was to bad, if the transponder was still good I'd feel worse about it.

I don't know about "slide in "capability but the Stratus ESG is about 3 grand with an ADS-B in kit available.

Last edited:
Back