Replace tv or not?

Buy new tv or not?

• Buy new, toss the old

Votes: 2 6.3%
  • Buy new, keep the old and move it to another room

Votes: 7 21.9%
  • Keep the old, do not buy new until you need to.

Votes: 23 71.9%

• Total voters

flhrci

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
David
So, I have a 2008ish, 40 inch Sony BRavia LCD that I paid $1800 for back then. :mad2:

Anyway, just looking at tv's on the Best Buy website out of curiosity. The 4k tv's 50" or less are pretty good prices I think.

This tv works fine but weighs twice as much as the newer LED tv's. If you had the cash, would you bu ya new one or keep using the current one till the CFL bulb goes out in the back?

I think the masses of POA would not bu ya new one which is already my answer to my question. Just curious what all the other impulse buyers out there would do.

David

I've got a 32" circa-2008 Samsung 1080p LCD that I've repurposed to computer monitor for my Mac Mini. Every time I think of upgrading (maybe to 2560x1440), I think "meh, this works fine."

4K is in flux, IMO. Limited source material. Many will say their Blurays look better on 4K TVs, but that comes down to the quality of the upscaler, and hence price of the TV. I'd wait.

This tv works fine but weighs twice as much as the newer LED tv's. If you had the cash, would you bu ya new one or keep using the current one till the CFL bulb goes out in the back?
David

How much would you save on your gravity bill on the lighter one?

How much would you save on your gravity bill on the lighter one?

:D

Probably not enough to justify it but when I move next time, I will wish I had bought a new one. 65 pounds in a flat screen sucks though.

David

I have a similar conflict we have a 5yr old 65" Mitsubishi dlp. The super light new style not the old ship anchor. The lamp went for the first time Friday I ordered another oem Mitsubishi lamp. Currently we have no tv until Tuesday. For the price of led 70" tv's I'm tempted to retire the dlp.

:D

Probably not enough to justify it but when I move next time, I will wish I had bought a new one. 65 pounds in a flat screen sucks though.

David
Do you find that you have to move it around very often?

When you move, leave it with the house as an incentive to the buyer.

I have a circa 2005 42" plasma tv that I paid around $7k for. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2: (My wife wouldn't let me buy the 60" plasma for closer to $20k).
It still works fine, but I'd rather have something larger because our living room is rather large and the seating is around 15 to 20ft away from the screen. But I can't justify getting rid that expensive "antique". And I am sure it weighs double your LED. It took two big delivery guys to bring it inside and mount it on the wall. And they struggled with it.
(PS, this was before the "great recession" hit and money appeared to be plentiful).:dunno:

Last edited:
How many flying hours would you lose by buying the TV when the old one isn't broken?

Do you find that you have to move it around very often?

When you move, leave it with the house as an incentive to the buyer.

I have a circa 2005 42" plasma tv that I paid around $7k for. :mad2::mad2::mad2::mad2: (My wife wouldn't let me buy the 60" plasma for closer to $20k).
It still works fine, but I'd rather have something larger because our living room is rather large and the seating is around 15 to 20ft away from the screen. But I can't justify getting rid that expensive "antique". And I am sure it weighs double your LED. It took two big delivery guys to bring it inside and mount it on the wall. And they struggled with it.
(PS, this was before the "great recession" hit and money appeared to be plentiful).:dunno:

Living in an apartment. No incentive to leave it behind really.

David

How many flying hours would you lose by buying the TV when the old one isn't broken?

Not much more than I am now. I get my flying hours via being a CFI right now. However, fi I quit being a CFI, there would be virtually no flying.

David

I'm one of the impulse buyers but I don't care about watching TV. I had a 1992 TV until a couple years ago when it started to take about 15 minutes to warm up. My problem was getting it from where it was to my car so I could recycle it. I had to invite someone over to help me move it. All my neighbors seemed too old or had some kind of infirmity. I did not want them to injure themselves helping me move my TV.

Go for a new lighter weight big screen tv,the bigger the screen the better.

There is not much content in 4K yet, wait a year or two before 4K becomes more mainstream

Go for a new lighter weight big screen tv,the bigger the screen the better.
It seems to me that a 40" tv should be perfectly fine for most apartments. I can't see the justification of replacing something because of it's weight (except maybe a woman) unless you find yourself moving it around a lot. Personally, I would keep it until I move, then just put it out on the lawn. Around here, it would be gone in 15 minutes.

By then, maybe the new 8k tvs will be more available.

It seems to me that a 40" tv should be perfectly fine for most apartments. I can't see the justification of replacing something because of it's weight (except maybe a woman) unless you find yourself moving it around a lot. Personally, I would keep it until I move, then just put it out on the lawn. Around here, it would be gone in 15 minutes.

By then, maybe the new 8k tvs will be more available.
Here is a nice 8k tv. Notice they didn't put a comma in the price for some reason!
http://www.abt.com/product/69497/Samsung-UN85S9AFXZA.html?utm_source=google&utm_medium=sc&utm_campaign=UN85S9A&camptype=cpcGooglePLA&kwid=productads-plaid^169453321444-sku^69497-adType^PLA-device^c-adid^77416723924

I have a tube TV still.

Buy an OLED TV you will not be disappointed. The picture is leaps and bounds ahead of LCD. Prices are coming down on them finally.

I have a circa 1990 TV. It works fine don't understand the fascination with new when old works. My car is a 2002 and I'll do everything I can to keep it on the road. These new cars that park by themselves and brake when you get to close is just weird.

David I'll take the TV if you do get rid of it!

I have a circa 1990 TV. It works fine don't understand the fascination with new when old works. My car is a 2002 and I'll do everything I can to keep it on the road. These new cars that park by themselves and brake when you get to close is just weird.

David I'll take the TV if you do get rid of it!

Planning to keep it now but thanks for the offer. Thinking of going another route with it such as getting a sound bar to improve the sound a little.

David

This discussion helps me to understand why most people do not have adequate retirement savings. Sheesh!

Soooooooooo, went and looked at sound bars tonight and could not pull the trigger. I just can't justify it.

So, I have about $1 in gas wrapped up in this and am not doing anything. Keeping the tv as is.

David

I just got my 2009 flat screen working again today after about a month. Looks great. When it crapped out the option was to go buy a new one or send a couple of the circuit boards out for repair.

Maybe this belongs in the "How cheap are you?" Thread. :)

Heh. I did that math when I bought the monster a couple of weeks ago. About 8.

Assuming it bankrupted the account, of course, which it did not. There's still flying money in it. ;)

This discussion helps me to understand why most people do not have adequate retirement savings. Sheesh!

Doing good there too. Wouldn't spend retirement money for entertainment, but I'm sure many do.

Soooooooooo, went and looked at sound bars tonight and could not pull the trigger. I just can't justify it.

So, I have about $1 in gas wrapped up in this and am not doing anything. Keeping the tv as is.

David

Sound bars aren't my gig either.

The 70's Kenwoods are sounding fine... With the 80's Yamaha Natural Sound driving them, with the 75" monster TV.

73ceb6a20ade53f2a13d3632da546239.jpg

I'm in hog heaven on Sunday's with football now. Y'all are always welcome to stop by and watch the games.

I don't like these stories about these things dying in a few years. I've got monitors that are a decade old and every TV in the house was more than 10 years old when we bought the monster. We really aren't planning to buy another for a very long time.

That's the size comparison photo. The old TV is sitting on the floor there. And the photo was shot with the iPhone from where my wife moved the seating back to.

It was like trying to watch a postage stamp from that far away.

Seriously? A Progressive commercial without Flo in it?

Black Friday...

Only replace perfectly working tvs on black Friday sales. Get your gas money back by selling old TV on Craig's list.

I voted keep the old one. I prolly shouldn't have voted.

Sitting here watching a 19YO RCA rear proj TV with 4:3 aspect. The darn thing just - won't - die. Has great picture still.

There is no such thing as too large of a tv. Go big.

Back