Replace lord engine bushings on R172K Cessna

ray fulk

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
xppilot
It’s time to replace my Lord engine mount bushings on my Hawk xp. Has anyone changed these one at a time without raising the engine with a hoist. I was told it is possible to remove and replace them individually.
Any comments or suggestions from anyone who has done this on the XP?

I was told it is possible to remove and replace them individually.
While you can replace them individually, I've never found myself to be in a situation where I didn't use a hoist.;)

Hoists are pretty common equipment. I'm sure you could find one to borrow. I'm not sure it's possible to do it without one. You have to finagle the engine around quite a bit to get the angles right. Not sure how you would do that without a hoist.

As wires, hoses, etc are secured and don’t have much slack, I was trying to avoid creating other problems by not moving engine. I thought it might be possible to loosen them one at a time, remove and replace. I assume that there won’t be enough room to do so based on your reply?

You can do it one at a time. But if things weren't going to be aligned a bit differently you probably wouldn't be replacing the old ones, right? You're going to need to free up hoses and wires enough to do some amount of adjustments.

While you can replace them individually, I've never found myself to be in a situation where I didn't use a hoist.;)
It’s time to replace my Lord engine mount bushings on my Hawk xp. Has anyone changed these one at a time without raising the engine with a hoist. I was told it is possible to remove and replace them individually.
Any comments or suggestions from anyone who has done this on the XP?

I am no expert but have done it a couple times, IMO it would be pretty difficult to do it without a hoist. Not saying impossible, if you didn't use a hoist you would need 2-3 beefy friends to help wrestle with the engine.
The mounts are on funny angles and you need to loosen all 4 to get one out...from my recollection on mine. I took this engine off and then put it back on and flew it for a while longer.
IMG_8177.JPG

033_4.jpg

I hung my new engine on Barry mounts almost 500 hours ago. They are holding up well and were less cost than the Lord mounts. I did both of these swaps by myself and it was not easy even with a hoist. It took a lot patience, strength and proper rigging to get it mounted to the mounts. Not much fun...
IMG_8191.JPG

Last edited:
I assume that there won’t be enough room to do so based on your reply?
Not at all. But you'll still need to loosen/disconnect a few things as mentioned above to complete the job easily. I would usually pull the prop depending on the engine to give more maneuvering room when changing mounts like this, but as long as the previous person hasn't done something out of the ordinary like glue the rubbers in, it is very doable.

I am no expert but have done it a couple times, IMO it would be pretty difficult to do it without a hoist. Not saying impossible, if you didn't use a hoist you would need 2-3 beefy friends to help wrestle with the engine.
The mounts are on funny angles and you need to loosen all 4 to get one out...from my recollection on mine. I took this engine off and then put it back on and flew it for a while longer.
IMG_8177.JPG

033_4.jpg

I hung my new engine on Barry mounts almost 500 hours ago. They are holding up well and were less cost than the Lord mounts. I did both of these swaps by myself and it was not easy even with a hoist. It took a lot patience, strength and proper rigging to get it mounted to the mounts. Not much fun...
IMG_8191.JPG
The R172K doesn't have the same mounting system yours does. It's a bed mount. Lifting the engine a bit lets you replace the mounts. It's more like a 180's or a 182's. Been there, done that on an R172K.

Sounds like putting on a hoist, taking the strain off the mounts and removing and replacing them one at a time should work if I’m interpreting this properly?

Sounds like putting on a hoist, taking the strain off the mounts and removing and replacing them one at a time should work if I’m interpreting this properly?
Yes.

Back