Repairman Inspection Airplane course pirep

jnmeade

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
Jim Meade
Completed the 16 hour FAA-approved Repairman Inspection Airplane course given at Iowa City by Rainbow Aviation of Corning, CA and taught by Jim Scott of Aircore Aviation, Arlington, WA. 15 students, all middle-aged to older men, all pilots, nearly all with airplane builder experience and many familiar with Rotax engines. The course was roughly 75% classroom and 25% hands-on. Upon completion the certificate holder can sign off the annual condition report on an E-LSA s/he owns. The repairman must take the certificate and airworthiness certificate of his airplane to the FSDO in person for issuance of a temporary Repairman certificate pending issuance of the plastic one from OK City.

The course was well designed. Questions and discussion were very good and on point. A relaxed but attentive group of students. The course took the entire 16 hours and ended with a 40 question quiz (you needed to pass with 80% right) which addressed all of the syllabus but was not tricky. We all passed.

The course covered maintenance rules and regulations, maintenance resources, records/logs and references, how to inspect airframe structures, engines and propellers and more. The hands on portion used a Flight Design CT and both reinforced the classroom portion and gave opportunity to go into more detail on engine (especially Rotax) features which included demonstration of inspection techniques needed to do a complete visual and aural inspection.

If one's goal is to be legal to do your own annual condition inspection of an E-LSA you own, and to have a good basis for knowing where to look for more information on aircraft maintenance, the course did a good job of accomplishing that objective.

The RIA in itself does not permit one to do the condition inspection on SLSA or the 100 hour, if needed, on one's own ELSA - that takes the 120 hour Repairman Maintenance course or an A&P. An inspection on an EAB takes the builder's certificate (not sure of exact nomenclature) or an A&P.

Thanks for the write up!

So I'm clear -- this certificate allows you to conduct annuals and sign off repairs on any LSA?

The one he did makes him "legal to do your own annual condition inspection of an E-LSA you own"

Not on S-LSA or an Experimental Amateur Built or on other peoples planes.

The 120 hr course lets you do more to more airframes.

The one he did makes him "legal to do your own annual condition inspection of an E-LSA you own"

Not on S-LSA or an Experimental Amateur Built or on other peoples planes.

The 120 hr course lets you do more to more airframes.

Hmmm...ok.

I need to do more research. I have not spent much time looking into it but should. It takes lots of work to keep a 70-year-old LSA-qualified airplane flying.

Hmmm...ok.

I need to do more research. I have not spent much time looking into it but should. It takes lots of work to keep a 70-year-old LSA-qualified airplane flying.

But you have an aircraft with a standard / utility airworthiness certificate. So the S-LSA / E-LSA rules are irrelevant as far as the Chief is concerned. It can be flown by us low life sport pilots, but it does not have a LSA airworthiness certificate.

Does that make sense? If it does, you weren't paying attention...

Hmmm...ok.

To Summarize:

A Light Sport Repairman Maintenance (LSRM) (120 hour course) can do the repair work and 100hr/ annual inspections on any SLSA or ELSA in the category he is rated for (airplane, powered parachute, or weight shift). He can't do any maintenance or inspections on any Part 23 type certificated aircraft or inspections on Experimental Amateur Built (EXAB even if they qualify as LSA.

A Light Sport Repairman Inspection (16 hour course) can do the 100 hour/annual condition inspection on an ELSA that he or she owns. Your final certificate will have the N number of that aircraft on it. Anyone can do maintenance on an ELSA just like an Experimental Amateur Built (EXAB.

Anyone can do maintenance on an EXAB, but only the original builder with the repairmans certificate for that N number or an A&P can do the Annual inspection.

After having his certificate for 36 months, a LSRM can take the written for A&P and then have his certificate upgraded after a practical.

My brother just finished the 120 hour course by Rainbow and had great things to say about it also.

Last edited:
...After having his certificate for 36 months, a LSRM can take the written for A&P and then have his certificate upgraded after a practical.

My brother just finished the 120 hour course by Rainbow and had great things to say about it also.

Didn't know that. Hmmm.....

Correct me if I am wrong, but for the LSRM to be approved to take the written A&P, he has to show that he has been working for the equivlent of 30 month full time, repairing and maintaining aircraft. It is not, IIRC, just that the LSRM becomes eligible after simply possessing the LSRM certificate for 36 months. He actually has to use it full time (or it's equivelent part-time).

Correct me if I am wrong, but for the LSRM to be approved to take the written A&P, he has to show that he has been working for the equivlent of 30 month full time, repairing and maintaining aircraft. It is not, IIRC, just that the LSRM becomes eligible after simply possessing the LSRM certificate for 36 months. He actually has to use it full time (or it's equivelent part-time).

That is how I understood it.

As I understood it, you can work on LSAs for the whole time and still be eligible for a 'regular' A&P certificate.

Back