Repair Bent Prop for Display

HPNPilot1200

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Jason
Back in the early 80s when my dad was still instructing, the flight school he worked at had a student prop strike one of their warriors and had to take the prop off and tear down the engine. They didn't know what to do with the bent prop, so my dad offered to take it for free, planning on fixing it to display. Well ever since, it's sat in our basement and would now like to do something with it.

What would be the best way to clip the ends of the prop that are currently bent? I'd like to clip those ends to match and then paint the tips.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

You might check with some machine shops in the area who use water jets or lasers for cutting. I can't imagine it being that expensive and you'd end up with a much nicer cut.

Any reason why the same machine shop couldn't press the tips back out relatively flat? At least flat enough for a wall hanger?

i dunno, i think a bent prop is more of a conversation piece than a hack sawed or bent back straight one.

still need to get the blade from my nose gear collapse. need to get the prop up to the prop shop to get the blades off the hub, apparently it takes special tools.

I'm with Tony on this. You can make up some great story... We were comming in low over the jungles of Borneo when out of 10 O'Clock came a..............

I'm with Tony on this. You can make up some great story... We were comming in low over the jungles of Borneo when out of 10 O'Clock came a..............
I'm gonna have to seek out transcripts on some of your opening and closing arguments. :D

Thanks for the advice, all. I would leave it bent, but the tips bend backwards a good few inches and would make it difficult to lean or hang properly. Still thinking what to do...I may end up leaving it alone, just wipe it down and come up with a tall tale to tell like Adam hinted towards...

Still thinking what to do...

April 1st... sneak out to the airport... replace good prop with bent prop... :)

Not really advocating this, but can you imagine the look on the owner's face when he saw his plane with a bent prop?

That makes me think... "gag" prop tips that slip over the real ones and make it look all bent up would be kind of funny as an "inside" joke between friends.

Thanks for the advice, all. I would leave it bent, but the tips bend backwards a good few inches and would make it difficult to lean or hang properly. Still thinking what to do...I may end up leaving it alone, just wipe it down and come up with a tall tale to tell like Adam hinted towards...

My $.02....
Hang it the other way..

Back