Rep. Mica wants to privatize ATC

Re: Sen. Mica wants to privatize ATC

That is the dumbest reading act I've seen even for privatization efforts.
It's been introduced as HR 1835 if you want to write your representative.

"We've tried reform and reorganization ... but unfortunately our [Air Traffic Control] technology and working conditions for air traffic controllers continue to fall further behind the rest of the world,

Funny thing to say given that ATC in the rest of the world is run by stricter governments than ours.

It should come as no surprise that (according to OpenSecrets) the Air Transport industry was the single largest contributor industry to Mica for 2014 at $94,150.

Congress can't even pass the human trafficking bill.

You think they are going to pass a bill to privatize a major government entity? Yeah, not happening.

It seems to me that the human part of ATC in America is a decently run operation without a lot of waste. It's also clear that ATC is a "public good" that is a natural role for government. Surely there are more wasteful things in the government.

My favorite part of this post will be hearing everyone play political scientist but not realize Mica isn't a senator.

Well damn, I guess I ruined it.

Interesting......four commercial- airline pilots I know say our country is and always has been far superior to other country's in this regard.

The article does not identify any specific problems that would be corrected by privatization.

I think it does allude to the FAA's record in rolling out new technology, which isn't that great.

Just the same, it isn't clear how different management would help, as it would still be a monopoly without much to motivate it that it doesn't already have.

I think it does allude to the FAA's record in rolling out new technology, which isn't that great.

Just the same, it isn't clear how different management would help, as it would still be a monopoly without much to motivate it that it doesn't already have.

You're essentially restating what I wrote. The article also does not identify any specific problems that would be corrected by the new technology the FAA has been slow to roll out.

You're essentially restating what I wrote. The article also does not identify any specific problems that would be corrected by the new technology the FAA has been slow to roll out.

Yup. Everything would become fee based, and new technology would be rolled out only if it was financially viable. So technology rollouts would be even slower or non-existent. Stupid idea.

My favorite part of this post will be hearing everyone play political scientist but not realize Mica isn't a senator.

I saw the title and was going to post the same observation. Glad I read through it though to see you caught it first.
Of course, I have an advantage. Mica is my rep.

I guess I blew right by the title. I knew Mica was a representative given the fact that the bill was introduced in the House (and has an HR number). When I sent a letter to my representative voicing opposition for the bill, I knew to call him Rep. Mica..

Last edited:

Yeah, my bad in making a typo on the thread title. Was working on a different matter involving the Senate when I typed that.

Shouldn't detract from the issue though.

Yeah, my bad in making a typo on the thread title. Was working on a different matter involving the Senate when I typed that.

Shouldn't detract from the issue though.
I'm curious about how the title got fixed. I have tried to fix typo's in a couple of threads and it wouldn't take.

I don't think vB will let the user can change the thread title. It's whatever the subject was on the first post in the thread. A user can go back and change his subject on his post but it won't change the thread title (same reason why a user can't make the thread go away). An admin/mod can change the thread titles though.

"Privatizing" per se is not the thing that begets efficiency anyway. It is free markets and freedom to innovate that do that.

Regulation of the NAS is a proper function of government in my view, especially today with high speed international air travel. The way government has regulated everything that remotely relates to the NAS, especially aircraft and avionics certification, is a matter for the spin zone.

It should come as no surprise that (according to OpenSecrets) the Air Transport industry was the single largest contributor industry to Mica for 2014 at $94,150.

Follow the money. It's rarely about constituents.

I figured anyone clued in would know the difference so it was jest when I pointed out the Rep/Sen bit.

The truth is many people in ATC are open to privatization. Controllers aren't like the government employees you imagine filing their nails or taking long breaks. It's a hard, demanding job that requires a bat **** crazy schedule and doesn't afford for the whole crew to take leave with the kids in the Summer.

While many will disagree, privatization may eventually lead to serious change in controller hiring (something the FAA can't help but mess up), and appropriately leveling facilities. The FAA has long held that no facility shall be greater than a 12, but the complexity and traffic is in many to justify higher.

And did I mention you can job action against a private entity? I mean, there's history and it wasn't pretty, but I could argue PATCO led to the great strides NATCA made (before the 2007 CB"A", but after as well).

I figured anyone clued in would know the difference so it was jest when I pointed out the Rep/Sen bit.

The truth is many people in ATC are open to privatization. Controllers aren't like the government employees you imagine filing their nails or taking long breaks. It's a hard, demanding job that requires a bat **** crazy schedule and doesn't afford for the whole crew to take leave with the kids in the Summer.

While many will disagree, privatization may eventually lead to serious change in controller hiring (something the FAA can't help but mess up), and appropriately leveling facilities. The FAA has long held that no facility shall be greater than a 12, but the complexity and traffic is in many to justify higher.

And did I mention you can job action against a private entity? I mean, there's history and it wasn't pretty, but I could argue PATCO led to the great strides NATCA made (before the 2007 CB"A", but after as well).

What great strides were made by NATCA?

Back