Reoccurring AD removal question.

To clear the field... I decided to just mention in the log that removal of lamp and switch 'affects' the AD and I'm bolding the AD incase someone ever looks in the log for when it got removed. I'm assuming the A&P will just check it every year, sign the AD because the part isn't there and move on.

I'm afraid Okie, as I mentioned earlier, that you have kind of opened the proverbial "can of worms" in your quest to eliminate this simple AD. Believe me, it's not worth the trouble because when you get right down to it you must abide by the Cessna Service Bulletin SEB00-1 which states in no uncertain terms what "compliance" means. It further states that it is an amendment to the Maintenance Manual and/or ICA so there's really no way around it.

You can remove the map light and switch and you're not gonna crash but don't broadcast it here, in the logbook or by calling your local FSDO because you're not gonna like the answer you get.

Did you, or did you not, modify the aircraft.
I removed the old trim, which has the light and switch installed. I taped the two wires with insulated ends together and I put new trim over it. I did not reinstall the light or the switch.

If so, how did you document that alteration?
That's what started this entire post, how to document it. You quoted how I'm going to document it in the log. Will see if the A&P has an issue with it. Was going to review this with him today but it was crappy out so no one wanted to be out at the hangar.

When you properly engineer and document the Field approval and it is approved by FSDO, that becomes your means of compliance with the AD. Then the AD can be properly signed off as it no longer applies to this aircraft.

Your A&P's PMI will do the research to insure that your field approval meets any and all AMOC currently in use.

It makes absolutely no sense for you to apply for a AMOC for all 172s that this AD covers. and that is what the AMOC requests does.

This is the part I'm skipping, seems to take more time than paying for the 30 seconds it will take on the next annual to see that the switch isn't there to inspect.

I removed the old trim, which has the light and switch installed. I taped the two wires with insulated ends together and I put new trim over it. I did not reinstall the light or the switch.

That's what started this entire post, how to document it. You quoted how I'm going to document it in the log. Will see if the A&P has an issue with it. Was going to review this with him today but it was crappy out so no one wanted to be out at the hangar.
If you're A&P is a by-the-book type, then as Silvaire said, you may not like what happens next. At the very least, your mechanic will have to be convinced this is a "minor alteration" and sign a log entry documenting and approving it. Middle ground is your mechanic decides this constitutes a "major alteration", which will require field approval on a 337 from your FSDO. Worst case is you have to reinstall the light and switch.

Next time you get the urge to modify your plane, it would behoove you to discuss it with your mechanic and obtain guidance and direction from him/her before you start cutting things.

Next time you get the urge to modify your plane, it would behoove you to discuss it with your mechanic and obtain guidance and direction from him/her before you start cutting things.

He was the one that told me I don't have to reinstall it if I don't plan on using it. I also asked about the log entry and he said just put that it was removed.

The reason I'm making the log entry versus him is because I have every trim piece and part that went into the interior refurb. It's easier for me to hand him an adhesive than him retyping or hand writing it in.

He was the one that told me I don't have to reinstall it if I don't plan on using it. I also asked about the log entry and he said just put that it was removed.

The reason I'm making the log entry versus him is because I have every trim piece and part that went into the interior refurb. It's easier for me to hand him an adhesive than him retyping or hand writing it in.
You need a second opinion, preferably backed up by confirmation from that mechanic's PMI at the FSDO. Otherwise, when you take your plane to another mechanic like Silvaire or Sixie for a future annual, you're going to have issues to fix before the airplane can be retuned to service.

Last edited:
You need a second opinion, preferably backed up by confirmation from that mechanic's PMI at the FSDO. Otherwise, when you take your plane to another mechanic like Silvaire or Sixie for a future annual, you're going to have issues to fix before the airplane can be retuned to service.

What a bunch of
BS.gif

Yes I stuck the old red trim with the post light and switch on a shelf in the hangar. If the air police come to get me I can get it reinstalled with 1 drill hole and dremeling a slot for the switch.

Edit: what's a PMI? To me that mean project management institute. I have a PMP from PMI.... But I'm speculating it's an entirely different PMI.

The next question, is this light/switch listed as an accessory in your equipment list? or is it listed as part of the airframe in your IPC?

what started this entire post, how to document it. You quoted how I'm going to document it in the log. Will see if the A&P has an issue with it. Was going to review this with him today but it was crappy out so no one wanted to be out at the hangar.

He best have issues with it. your aircraft is now in a condition not in accordance with its production certificate. This condition prohibits the A&P from complying with the AD.

is the part I'm skipping, seems to take more time than paying for the 30 seconds it will take on the next annual to see that the switch isn't there to inspect.

If I were your mechanic I'd do this, I would compose a cover sheet for a Field approval to remove the light and switch for safety reasons, noting there will be no weight and balance issues and no structure was modified in doing so. thus eliminating the AD 2001-23-03 this aircraft is no longer equipped.

Then make out the 337 stating in block 8 this statement.
" removed map light and associated wiring for the safety of the aircraft, capped wires and secured wires away from the fuel lines. modify the owners manual to eliminate any reference to the map light.
no weight and balance change. "
AD2001-23-03 Does not apply due to removal of the map light and control switch.

If that comes back approved, your golden.

Last edited:
if it's not required equipment....why?

would you do that to remove the ash trays too? :eek::rolleyes2:

...Otherwise, when you take your plane to another mechanic like Silvaire or Sixie for a future annual, you're going to have issues to fix before the airplane can be retuned to service.

Not really, at least I didn't mean it that way. If I were doing a annual on the airplane for the first time I would remove the trim and inspect the fuel line for damage after which I'd sign off the AD with a note that the map light is not there. I'm not going to ground the aircraft because of a missing map light but I'm also not going to make an entry stating that the AD is NLA.

Despite the documentation snags bottom line is that it's the integrity of the fuel line that matters. Whether or not it's technically legal to have the map light removed is something that is never going to be an issue if you don't go around telling everyone about it.

The appropriate adage is: "Let sleeping dogs lie"

Back