Renting in Puerto Rico

Cutnrun

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Cutnrun
Hi all,
Was wondering if anyone had some recent experience with renting a 172/182 in Puerto Rico.

I will be vacationing in San Juan with family in April and would love to do some sightseeing or even go to Aguadilla for some surfing with my sons.

Thanks, Bob

Hi all,
Was wondering if anyone had some recent experience with renting a 172/182 in Puerto Rico.

Hey Bob. I _just_ did this out of San Juan over the new year. Here's the deal. These people are super nice and super friendly, my other half and our friend even said our CFI was super cute...but..I digress.

Here's the problem. They quoted me a price of $XXX/hr on the phone. After the flight, they said it was $YYY/hr (much higher rate). I even double checked the price when I got in the office. Now, the CFI was a few mins late so the owner and I started talking while waiting for the CFI. After a bit, the owner asked me if I cared about which plane I use. I said not really as long as it's the 172 (thinking it'll be the $170 rate).

Anyways, he put me in a 172, but on the return he said the rate for that plane was $YYY/hr (much higher than the XXX rate). Anyways. Double check the price of everything before you walk out to the plane. After I some discussion, he said I should have known that a slightly newer plane (172SP i think) should be more expensive than the price he quoted me. *sigh* It didn't even have G1000, just some old GPS...not even a garmin 430. Back home, the 172SP with G1000 is still much less than their lowest rate on their oldest 172.

I'm still working on my PPL, but he gave me the controls 750 AGL after take off and took it back over 1000 AGL before landing straight in. He was super friendly. They know where to fly and what to see. They can probably help you plan a route out of things to see.

Their URL: www.islagrandeflying.com

We flew for almost 2 hours and flew over a couple of islands. Beautiful! I highly recommend doing this. I would fly with them again but making sure you know the rates when you walk out the door to the plane.

Back