Renting emergency gear

JOhnH

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Right Seater
Leslie and I plan to fly the Bo from Florida to Alaska this summer. Prudence, as well as some regulations require certain emergency gear, which I don't have. So, I will either need to purchase this stuff, or buy it for one time use. I guess I could sell it later on ebay, but I hate selling stuff. I usually just donate stuff like that to Good Will.

But I was wondering if there is a source that can provide good quality gear for short term (a month or so) rental.

Someone suggested going to the Army/Navy surplus store, which I will try, but there is only one around here, and it doesn't seem all that well stocked.

Well, unless you're a commercial operation, there's darned little regulation that mandates any "emergency gear."

If you're doing extended overwater, you can rent life rafts (though such is not required).
I'd certainly just buy lifevests for overwater operation. I like the "SOSpender" type that you wear "stowed" that require nothing but pulling the tab when you go into the water (I've had the belt pack ones but I'm always a little leary of putting those on in a panic situation).

What else?

Well, unless you're a commercial operation, there's darned little regulation that mandates any "emergency gear."

If you're doing extended overwater, you can rent life rafts (though such is not required).
I'd certainly just buy lifevests for overwater operation. I like the "SOSpender" type that you wear "stowed" that require nothing but pulling the tab when you go into the water (I've had the belt pack ones but I'm always a little leary of putting those on in a panic situation).

What else?
Unless the law has changed Alaska has survival/camping gear requirements for any aircraft that operates in the state.

The Alaska list doesn't look too bad though the fishing gear and food requirements seem a bit outdated. Maybe they want survivors to be plump and jolly? For the western US flying I do my kit is heavier on simple shelter construction and first aid supplies. If I flew in the southeast I'd prolly be scrounging for kit components too.

Bring a survival bag with warm clothes, food and water. Get a handheld radio. Check to see your ELT is working. If you are flying the coast, get inflatable life vests (only kind people will wear). Check out an EPIRB.

There are regulations that require survival equipment but it is not enforced. You will not be turned away if you have too much or too little survival gear.

Here is something to look at that might help you out a little.

http://www.equipped.org/ak_cnda.htm

This is a little over kill but it might give you some ideas to build a personal survival kit. I always added clean underwear because when I was a kid my grandmother always reminded me to be sure to have on clean underwear....:)

http://www.equipped.org/survlkit.htm#2PERSON

Did the flight to Alaska,some of the equipment I already carry anyway.wasnt that expensive,got a lot of it at REI,who has a very liberal return policy.

Yeah, someone returned a 7 year old jacket to REI and the reason for the return he put "worn out". He got his refund!

Back