Renting at GAI?

mcmanigle

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
John McManigle
I mostly fly out of KMTN in Baltimore (and rent / do IR training with Brett Aviation, who have treated me well thus far), but I'm in Rockville visiting my parents on weekends frequently enough that I'm starting to think it makes sense to get checked out in a plane or two at KGAI to have the flexibility of impromptu flights from there.

A quick web search seems to turn up Fleming Aviation and Washington International Flight Academy as likely suspects. Any experience or recommendations? Availability, general attitude, etc?

About me: Low-hour (170?) mostly flying DA20s and C172s (though got my PPL on Piper and Grumman). I'll stick with MTN for the IR work, so not overly fussed about instruction. I'm a poor student, so would probably be looking at the LSAs at Fleming vs the 172's/Warrior at WIFA. I've never flown an LSA.

(Yes, I do know about the SFRA, and even have an FRZ PIN.)

Recommend you post that question on the Yahoo DC Pilots board. I think you'll get a quicker answer there.

Octopus flying club is based GAI, and seems pretty popular. I believe they have a student pilot deal, dunno if IR training qualifies. Maybe worth looking into.

Either one is a great option - i hear the PiperSports are pretty fun planes to buzz around in.

Lots of clubs on the field in case you want more flexibility to do day trips and pay tach time. TSS, Octopus, Inn, and Congressional.

I rent at both Fleming and WIFA. Weekends can get tight, so book your plane early. Both have online reservation systems.

The pipersports are fun.

I mostly fly out of KMTN in Baltimore (and rent / do IR training with Brett Aviation, who have treated me well thus far), but I'm in Rockville visiting my parents on weekends frequently enough that I'm starting to think it makes sense to get checked out in a plane or two at KGAI to have the flexibility of impromptu flights from there.

A quick web search seems to turn up Fleming Aviation and Washington International Flight Academy as likely suspects. Any experience or recommendations? Availability, general attitude, etc?

About me: Low-hour (170?) mostly flying DA20s and C172s (though got my PPL on Piper and Grumman). I'll stick with MTN for the IR work, so not overly fussed about instruction. I'm a poor student, so would probably be looking at the LSAs at Fleming vs the 172's/Warrior at WIFA. I've never flown an LSA.

(Yes, I do know about the SFRA, and even have an FRZ PIN.)

Make sure you check out the currency requirements at where ever you want to rent. It's not uncommon to require flights every 90 days in each make of planes. You may have a problem if you don't fly there often enough. Given that martin is maybe a hour drive on the weekend you may be better served flying out of a single place.

Back