Renting a plane past it's 100 hour

Revtach

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
Revtach
Hello,

I have a theoretical question regarding the 100 hour annual inspection requirement. I'm trying to understand if the "for hire" aspect applies to the aircraft owner or to the individual who is renting the plane.

91.409 (b) states: no person may operate an aircraft carrying any person (other than a crewmember) for hire, and no person may give flight instruction for hire in an aircraft which that person provides, unless within the preceding 100 hours of time in service the aircraft has received an annual or 100-hour inspection and been approved for return to service in accordance with part 43 of this chapter or has received an inspection for the issuance of an airworthiness certificate in accordance with part 21 of this chapter. The 100-hour limitation may be exceeded by not more than 10 hours while en route to reach a place where the inspection can be done.

Would the rule apply to a PPL who wanted to rent a plane from a flight school, that was just past it's 100 hour, for a personal recreational flight? Is personally renting the plane in this situation considered to be "for hire"? You'd think not if it is a recreational flight.

If you wanted to bring a photographer up for some photography, I could see how the rule could apply in that situation.

What if you wanted to use the plane for a practical test with an examiner? A DPE would collect a fee while an ASI would not. Does that have any bearing on whether the plane is considered to be operating "for hire"?

Thank you all and Merry Christmas.

Last edited:
Thank you, Bell.

Seems as though it's ok to rent for a recreational flight. Going up with a photographer might depend on if the photographer was paying the pilot...but in that case we'd be running into another reg regarding the PPL flying for compensation.

As far as using the plane for a practical test, I'd also lean to it not being a violation. If anything the examiner would be the one being hired and not the pilot renting the plane.

Back