renters insurance

bluee

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
AL
I'm sure this has been covered, but which renters insurance is recommended? I know of AOPA and Avemco. Is one better than the other?

I think there might be only two insurers in the U.S., Avemco and AIG Aviation Insurance.

AOPA is like an insurance agency, not an insurance company. They serve as a kind of agent to issue the AIG policies, which you can also obtain elsewhere.

AIG's aviation insurance business might have been renamed recently, I'm not sure.

I have no experience with claims, but when I compared prices they weren't much different.

The AOPA policy provides $5,000 of "no fault" deductible coverage, while the Avemco website says their policy has a $1,000 limit on this coverage.

I went with the AOPA policy for this reason.

Also, make sure you understand your FBO's (or whoever you're renting from's) policy regarding waiver of subrogation before you decide how much "aircraft damage" coverage you purchase (or whether you purchase this coverage at all).

If you intend on flying multi-engine aircraft, I think Avemco is the way to go. AOPA (AIG/Chartis?) won't go near you if you don't have a ton of ME time.

If you intend on flying multi-engine aircraft, I think Avemco is the way to go. AOPA (AIG/Chartis?) won't go near you if you don't have a ton of ME time.

When I was looking, Avemco was the only insurer that would do non-owned coverage for a twin. Funny enough, they dont care what Twin you fly as long as you are below 450hp per side and unpressurized.

When I was looking, Avemco was the only insurer that would do non-owned coverage for a twin. Funny enough, they dont care what Twin you fly as long as you are below 450hp per side and unpressurized.

Do you happen to recall how the twin rates compared to SE? I know I could call them and ask, but I don't have any need for it. I'm just curious.

Do you happen to recall how the twin rates compared to SE? I know I could call them and ask, but I don't have any need for it. I'm just curious.

Difficult to say, I went from one company to the other and increased my coverage so while my premium went up I don't know how much of that was related to removing the SE endorsement.

I started off with the Avemco SE rental policy and shifted to the ME when I got my ticket. I think my premium went up something like 200 bucks.

I am insured through a flying club now, but last policy I had 2 years ago was something like 1100-1200 a year for max coverage offered.

That is the thing that always killed me about renting vs owning - for owned insurance, total time seems to be the big driving factor, but for renting, they could care less. Always amazed me how I could rent a Stearman and be fully covered, but if I wanted to buy one and insure it, they'd tell me to pound sand.

I think you can find the standard quoted rates on their web page.
I carry the ME coverage and it's only about $150 (IIRC) more than just carrying SE coverage.

Back