Renter's insurance thread # 9,524

VA Aviator

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
VA Aviator
Ok, time for another "How much renter's insurance do I need!!!" thread. Same thing, just flavored to my tastes.

I'm not worried about the liability part, I have that figured out.

Here's the text in the rental agreement from the place I'm considering renting from. It seems slightly contradictory to me:

Insurance:
The pilot is responsible for any damage that occurs between the time the aircraft is dispatched and the time the aircraft keys are returned to (company name) unless that damage is a direct result of mechanical failure and the pilot has made every reasonable attempt to prevent, correct or compensate for the failure. The current deductible is $2,500 for single-engine aircraft. Pilots are also responsible for any damage done to persons or property other than the insured aircraft. Renter’s insurance, which will cover the deductible and provide additional liability insurance, is available from several sources and is highly recommended.

At first, it says that renters are responsible for ANY damage. Later in the paragraph, it states that the deductible is $2,500 and renter's insurance is recommended to cover the deductible.

So... if you were in this situation, how much aircraft coverage would you purchase? Aircraft are 80s vintage spam cans. I'm figuring $30K hull would take care of the aircraft (after salvage value and other considerations) but why pay that when you don't need to? Should I request additional info?

Should I request additional info?
If you don't understand what your exposure is, yes, you should ask for additional info.

BTW, also understand that under the contract, you have liabilities that may not be covered by renter's insurance. For example, the "any damage that occurs" language does not require you be at fault. That means, if you fly to lunch and come back to find the airplane bent, it's your responsibility to the FBO (there may or may not be liability by others, but all the FBO or the FBO's insurer needs to look to is you). At the same time, many renters policies are fault policies - if you weren't at fault, no coverage.

You need to understand the FBO's insurance, the FBO's contract and your own insurance.

W96? I have not had any issues with them, but I do have $30K hull coverage and $1M liability. Their airplanes are some of the nicest rentals I've seen.

W96? I have not had any issues with them, but I do have $30K hull coverage and $1M liability. Their airplanes are some of the nicest rentals I've seen.

That's them. Not sure if this has any meaning to you depending on how long you've been flying or in the area, but the last time I was actively flying in the area your three options were Sundance, Dominion and CVA.

I knew the owner of NKA "back in the day..." great guy.

That's them. Not sure if this has any meaning to you depending on how long you've been flying or in the area, but the last time I was actively flying in the area your three options were Sundance, Dominion and CVA.

I knew the owner of NKA "back in the day..." great guy.

When was back in the day? He is a great guy. He is a much better instructor than the guy I did my PP with (that guy sucked in hindsight and comparison).

I don't think I've heard of the places you mentioned. I did my PP in another airport, and that flight school has changed names and hands at least twice since then.

When was back in the day? He is a great guy. He is a much better instructor than the guy I did my PP with (that guy sucked in hindsight and comparison).

I don't think I've heard of the places you mentioned. I did my PP in another airport, and that flight school has changed names and hands at least twice since then.

Circa 2002-2005 or so. I actually finished my private at W96 when it was run by CVA. They closed down their W96 operation and stopped instructing/rental not long after that (2004?). Did my instrument with Sundance at OFP and finished with Dominion at FCI.

At first, it says that renters are responsible for ANY damage. Later in the paragraph, it states that the deductible is $2,500 and renter's insurance is recommended to cover the deductible.

So... if you were in this situation, how much aircraft coverage would you purchase? Aircraft are 80s vintage spam cans. I'm figuring $30K hull would take care of the aircraft (after salvage value and other considerations) but why pay that when you don't need to? Should I request additional info?

The rental agreement seems to say that renter's insurance will cover the deductible. That may not be the case. Check the terms of the insurance policy before signing up. You may find yourself responsible for part of the deductible even if your hull coverage exceeds the deductible amount.

I just signed up with Avemco. I figure even though it doesn't cover the entire deductible (looks like it only covers up to $1K) it will make me feel better about it. Hell, I'd feel good about self insuring the full $2500, it's just the what ifs that get me. In any case it's worth it for the legal representation.

I'd like to get my glider add on as well, and avemco covers gliders too.

Back