Renter's Insurance + Legal?

Rob Schaffer

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
CLR2TKF
I'm about to get my Renter's insurance and I received an info packet in the mail about the AOPA legal services plan. Only a few dollars a year, but I don't know if it's really necessary,. . but then on the chance something does happen, it sounds like it is nice to have. Thought I'd get your opinions here rather than the AOPA forum itself.

What have some of you recently purchased and who have you gone with? I'm leaning towards the AOPA renter's insurance.

I'm looking at a 250,000 liability and 60,000 hull, this will allow me to rent and get checked out in the C152 and C172 at my current flight school. I already had a Renter's discussion here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18773&highlight=Renters+Insurance

I'm about to get my Renter's insurance and I received an info packet in the mail about the AOPA legal services plan. Only a few dollars a year, but I don't know if it's really necessary,. . but then on the chance something does happen, it sounds like it is nice to have. Thought I'd get your opinions here rather than the AOPA forum itself.

What have some of you recently purchased and who have you gone with? I'm leaning towards the AOPA renter's insurance.

I'm looking at a 250,000 liability and 60,000 hull, this will allow me to rent and get checked out in the C152 and C172 at my current flight school. I already had a Renter's discussion here: http://www.pilotsofamerica.com/forum/showthread.php?t=18773&highlight=Renters+Insurance
I'd avoid the the Legal program. From what I've seen the representation is none too stellar.
Get a FSS brief prior to each flight, fly prudently, and file ASRP forms and chances are pretty good you won't need the program.

I purchased the AOPA legal services one year and would agree that it is a waste of money. You get 15 or 25 minutes of time to speak to one of their lawyers in your area about your issue,after that you pay his normal rate. I would prefer to hire my own lawyer and not one of theirs. I was going to do a LLC and he was going to charge me $500.00 for something I could do for $105.00. Use the money on 5 gallons of fuel, it will be better spent.

I've got both non-owned aircraft insurance and the AOPA LSP (mine costs extra on both counts because it also covers my flight instructing), and rest much, much easier for it. It only takes one bad event for either to pay for itself many times over, especially if you have assets worth protecting (which the same as having assets worth going after). And most folks I've talked to don't echo Rob's comments on the LSP representation.

I've used the LSP now for multiple years, and generally try to take advantage of my free yearly consult, and I've gotten good advice on every inquiry I've made.

Bought renter's insurance today, and it says on the FAQs page that the Legal services are part of the policy. Andrew (the insurance guy) verified this for me, so I am in good shape. The Legal plan is directed more towards plane owners.

So, paperwork should be here by the weekend (summary sheet anyway) and the policy is effective March 1st. Could have been effective today,.. but I liked the March 1st renewal day.

250,000 / 25,000 Liability
60,000 Hull

This will allow me to finish up in the C152, and rent the C172 after getting endorsed for it. I'm still Pre-solo, but hoping to share that experience with you all in the upcoming weeks.

Last edited:
Bought renter's insurance today, and it says on the FAQs page that the Legal services are part of the policy. Andrew (the insurance guy) verified this for me, so I am in good shape. The Legal plan is directed more towards plane owners.

So, paperwork should be here by the weekend (summary sheet anyway) and the policy is effective March 1st. Could have been effective today,.. but I liked the March 1st renewal day.

250,000 / 25,000 Liability
60,000 Hull

This will allow me to finish up in the C152, and rent the C172 after getting endorsed for it. I'm still Pre-solo, but hoping to share that experience with you all in the upcoming weeks.

Wrong Wrong Wrong! Rob what they are most likely saying is that legal fees are inside the policy that means that the legal fees the carrier pays to defend you come out of your policy limits it doesn't mean that the legal services plan is included in the policy. Also the LSP deals with issues that the renters policy does not cover. The renters policy is generally a liablity type policy. It won't pay to defend enforcement actions or help with aircraft lein issues etc.

CONTRACT LAW 101 - The Big Print giveith and the Small Print taketh away.

I have the AOPA legal thingie and I think its money well spent. Managed to get into some FAA-induced dutch and that "free" time with a mouthpiece really paid off. Just my thought, and worth what you spent to read it.

Hmm, Thanks Adam. Looked more on-line and did some discussion searches both here and the AOPA forums, and clarified my understanding of the policies and coverages. For the intro rate of $14.50 (till my membership to the AOPA renews in November) it seems like a good idea just in case.

Thanks

Double-check that. There are exceptions but legal services that are part of an insurance policy typically cover legal services involved in defending you against a liability claim arising from an accident or incident, not FAA enforcement actions arising from such things as airspace busts, altitude deviations and other FAR violations, which is what the AOPA LSP is primarily designed to cover.

For those who would rather use "their" lawyer, while the quality of the attorneys who are members of the panel does vary (as with most other legal plans), FAA enforcement defense is a fairly specialized field and the chances are that if "your" lawyer is qualified to handle one of these, he or she is already a member of the panel. Panel members are not employed by AOPA - they are private attorneys who have chosen to represent AOPA pilots at, in most cases, greatly reduced fees. They also receive periodic training on FAA legal issues and procedures. On top of that, if you call AOPA for a referral, you will usually get about three names and phone numbers so you can decide who your are most comfortable with.

Like Ron, I carry non-owned and CFI insurance and pay my annual fee for the Plan, partly because I know the quality of the panel members in my neck of the woods and partly because, if I ever become the subject of a certificate action, I want to avoid having a fool for a client.

Thanks, that's what I now understand too. I sent in the form for the Legal services plan today.

Back