Renter Insurance

The renters insurance covers you in any plane you rent/borrow, minus turboprop, sea and a few others that aren't a issue for most folks here.

I have had all my students pull a policy from AVEMCO prior to acting as PIC, costs under 300 bucks for a year.

Unless you're broke with nothing in the bank and no assets (not worth suing), I would suck it up and buy a policy, takes like 10 minutes on the phone and they email the policy to you right then.

Avemco
https://www.avemco.com/secure/Aircraft-Renters-Insurance.aspx

Just curious, what sort of damage wouldn't be arguably related to pilot negligence?

I got hit with the deductible when the 172 I was flying encountered hail 20+ miles from a thunderstorm and pock-marked the wings. I certainly did not consider myself to be negligent, although staying on the ground would have been a better choice.

Bob Gardner

Well, one thing that I guess could get tacked on would be loss of use of the aircraft. That may not be covered by a FBO policy but renters insurance would (usually) pick that up. Probably wont hit 5 figures but a busy FBO that wants to get $800 a day out of a plane might charge you for the two weeks it's out for repairs from something like a prop strike. No personal experience with that, though, but I imagine it happens.

+1 on the loss of use... not sure about airplane rentals, but I believe loss of use is pretty common thing to go after for car rental companies when one a rental car gets wrecked. Something they try to use to push their renters insurance every time I rent a car.

Say, having a legitimately parked airplane hit by a fuel truck or another airplane.

The tropical storm at Sun'n'Fun a few years ago…

A sudden oil leak leading to a thrown rod.

Any maintenance issue on a Cessna that would require opening the cowl to detect (not legal to do so for a renter).

g. The holder of a pilot certificate issued under Part 61 may perform preventive maintenance on any aircraft owned or operated by that pilot which is not used under FAR Part 121, 127, 129, or 135.

That can include opening the cowl to replace/service the battery, gap plugs, change oil ect.

Back