Rentals on St. Thomas USVI

darthnomster

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
FlyLikeAGirl'sHubs
FlyslikeaGirl and I are flying commercial to STT and staying on St. John for a week in late January 2015.

Has anyone rented an aircraft recently on St. John or a neighboring island?

I can't find anything about a flight school or FBO with rentals on STT. St. Croix looks like it has an option, but that's a pretty long ferry ride to get over there.

Thanks in advance for the tips.

Not much to see. Little islands and lots of water......
Much more fun to rent a boat and sail around them. :yes:

Last edited:
Not much to see. Little islands and lots of water......
Much more fun to rent a boat and sail around them. :yes:

We've been to St. John and Jost van Dyke before and we love it there, just figuring out if flying around a bit is an option.

You might ask this fellow for advice.
He knows some of the islands down that way and is a great guy:
http://www.caribbeanflyingadventures.com/

I too love the area, St. Thomas not so much.... Have flown between the islands commercially and, other than seeing the general layout from the air and the reefs, it's not very exciting. Hawaii is much nicer for flying, plenty to see.

Have sailed BVI a few times. My favorite spot on the planet. Get over to the Soggy Dollar Bar if you can.

While the islands certainly are pretty from the air, sailing is definitely the way to experience them.

Have sailed BVI a few times. My favorite spot on the planet. Get over to the Soggy Dollar Bar if you can.

While the islands certainly are pretty from the air, sailing is definitely the way to experience them.

I've had a few painkillers there. :)

Best New Year's Eve I spent was on Jost Van Dyke at Foxy's.

Foxy bought me a beer once. Of course he saw I had about $100 worth of t-shirts and hats in my bag.....:redface:

Best New Year's Eve I spent was on Jost Van Dyke at Foxy's.

It couldn't have been that good if you remember it!

The only drink more effective at erasing memory than a Painkiller is tequila.

They kept the grill open late one night so our crew could get some conch fritters. Jum!

I wouldn't bother. I lived on STX for years with my C182. A trip around STT is about 10 minutes.
My advice is get off STT as quickly as possible and get to ST John. Some of the best beaches in the world.
And stay off Seaborne and Capt Al's airplanes, they are death traps.

I called a few years ago when i visited. They had a 172 retract and allowed you to fly local and to puerto rico I believe. I'll search my emails and see if I can find info.

It couldn't have been that good if you remember it!

The only drink more effective at erasing memory than a Painkiller is tequila.

They kept the grill open late one night so our crew could get some conch fritters. Jum!

Let's just say I remember the hangover, still had my wallet, and the girl I woke up with was still good looking in the morning.

I was hoping to go this year. Did you stay on a boat? Theres always camping at Ivans but I don't think my girlfriend will go for that.

Yep. I lived on St. Croix for 2 years. My boss then, now retired, has a Fontaine-Pajot Athena we crossed on between the islands all the time. I had a Morgan 462, but was going through a motor upgrade at the time.

Let's just say I remember the hangover, still had my wallet, and the girl I woke up with was still good looking in the morning.

Each time I've been there, the evening trip back to the boat on the dingy involved finding the correct boat using the "Braille" method. :smilewinkgrin:

What might be cool to have down there might be something low and slow like a Leza Aircam. Maybe on floats? In my mind that would be ideal, but in practice??

Back