Rentals near San Pedro.

korben88

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Troy
I'm looking for a place to rent a 172 or similar in the Torrance or Long Beach area.

Anyone have experience with the Long Beach flying club or Pacific Air Center?

Long Beach flying club is fine. Good prices. I don't know about Pacific Air Center. Torrance is more expensive unless you want to fly the sling.

Yeah, I looked in to the sling FC. Not interested in flying an LSA. Too small for me.

The great A&E flying club is at Hawthorne and is the best option but the waitlist is over a year long.

I’ve been a member of A&E and Long Beach.

Hawthorne is cheaper. Long Beach is easier.

Hawthorne is a real club, with all the politics that come with a 50 person club...and sadly there’s politics- ugh. Sometimes the votes members in charge do weird crap. 4 planes usually. Often the plane you want may not be available. You do your own maintenance under supervision. Many nice people there also. Hawthorne has become a politically wretched airport since the entire place is leased to “main street inc/advanced air/jet center/safe air” (same people, multiple shell companies) which has screwed over A&E multiple times. If not for A&E knocking door to door, the airport wouldn’t be open today. The DPE @ HHr was in on the fix, the fuel games, trying to tear the hangar down, raising the rent sky high etc.

Long Beach? Pay your money, show up and leave.

Lik, were you a member before or after they converted into an all gay flying club? Since the change, I have heard things are much better and there and politics is no longer a problem. Also that DPE is no longer a DPE! The advanced air crowd is just as bad as ever though.

Do you have to be a member of Long Beach to fly their planes?

I’ve been a member of A&E and Long Beach.

Hawthorne is cheaper. Long Beach is easier.

Hawthorne is a real club, with all the politics that come with a 50 person club...and sadly there’s politics- ugh. Sometimes the votes members in charge do weird crap. 4 planes usually. Often the plane you want may not be available. You do your own maintenance under supervision. Many nice people there also. Hawthorne has become a politically wretched airport since the entire place is leased to “main street inc/advanced air/jet center/safe air” (same people, multiple shell companies) which has screwed over A&E multiple times. If not for A&E knocking door to door, the airport wouldn’t be open today. The DPE @ HHr was in on the fix, the fuel games, trying to tear the hangar down, raising the rent sky high etc.

Long Beach? Pay your money, show up and leave.

Nope you just show up and pay at Long Beach flying club. It has club in its name but it is not an actual club.

I rented from LBFC for a few years, but it was early to mid-2000s. Looks like many of the same planes are still around (I flew most of their 172s, including the RG, Warriors and Archers). Most of the planes have very basic equipment, but were well-maintained and the prices were good. As mentioned above, it isn't a flying club in the traditional (need to do a $ buy-in) sense.

Does Sling offer club flying in their bigger stuff? Cause those are definitely not like a regular LSA.

Does Sling offer club flying in their bigger stuff? Cause those are definitely not like a regular LSA.
As far as I know they only have the sling LSA and the twin Tecnams and I don't have a multi rating. Maybe this should be the excuse to get it. ‍♂️

Lik, were you a member before or after they converted into an all gay flying club? Since the change, I have heard things are much better and there and politics is no longer a problem. Also that DPE is no longer a DPE! The advanced air crowd is just as bad as ever though.

I’m so confused I had to read your message more than once. Perhaps I’m clueless or just missed any humor.

While at A&E, the club was fairly diverse, with women and men, young and old. I never heard of it being it being lgbtq specific age it would surprise me if it was. I’m good friends with the former long term chief CFI and ia - I guess I’ll ask out of curiosity.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The club made the change about 5 years ago to an all gay club. Turns out most of the membership was gay anyways so they just made it official. You should probably call up Bill G! He wasn’t too happy with the change and more or less left, he was one of the few that wasn’t gay.

for a flying club that is primarily engaged in facilitating flights for individuals... what on earth does the pilot's LGBTQ orientation have to do with anything??

It is not really LGBTQ... just gay. The club became a gay flying club around 5 years ago. They did it by following their own procedures and voted on it to make it official. Some members were not happy about it and left. I have mixed feelings about it myself. It’s nice to have an all gay club but I feel bad for the people that had to leave because they were not gay. I will say the holiday parties have gotten a lot more .... interesting!

Back