Rentals in Austin, TX

bigred177

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
bigred
I am headed to Round Rock for a few weeks this summer and I was wondering if there is any place that rents a Cherokee 180. I will be finishing up my checkride on Sunday and have done all of my training in a Cherokee. I wouldn't mind getting checked out in a Cessna but don't really want to take the time right now. So any place in the Austin area that you know of would be great.
Thank you

I believe Pilot Choice in Georgetown has Cherokees. I've heard their upkeep wasn't the greatest but they have them.

If you want to try out a Skyhawk, look me up. I guarantee the planes are in top condition.

Well, contact KennyFlies, he instructs at Bergstron (KAUS), but I'm betting he knows what's up at other area fields.

I know that there is active flight training activity at Georgetown (KGTU), which is almost certain to be the most convenient field to Round Rock.

I hear Skyhawks in Austin are so complicated that they require 15 hours for a VFR checkout anyway... :rolleyes: ;)

I believe Pilot Choice in Georgetown has Cherokees. I've heard their upkeep wasn't the greatest but they have them.

If you want to try out a Skyhawk, look me up. I guarantee the planes are in top condition.

It cannot be worse than what we train here with in Lubbock. I'm surprised half of the planes up here can even get in the air.

Do you work for a training company or instruct with your own plane?

I am originally from Round Rock but go to school in Lubbock. I'm going to be there for the May break before summer school.

Also, I can't seem to find KennyFlies on here. When I search it says the user name isn't recognized.

I am originally from Round Rock but go to school in Lubbock. I'm going to be there for the May break before summer school.

Also, I can't seem to find KennyFlies on here. When I search it says the user name isn't recognized.
I teach at Austin Academy at KAUS. PM me and I'll provide direct contact information.

I looked at Pilot's Choice site. They have an Arrow and Archer, no Cherokees. We have two instructors who used to teach up there so my words are from their knowledge.

I suppose I could also just talk about what I'm wanting to do while down there and an equal plane could just be checked out in and used. I will most likely just do some playing around Austin and probably head up to Waco and Dallas area but I will for sure be making a trip down to Houston so something that can get there reasonably fast. It would also be wonderful if it was less than $100/hr. I don't really know the going rate down there but you can't find one for that here.

How long of riding with you would it take to get a checkout?

Last edited:
I looked at Pilot's Choice site. They have an Arrow and Archer, no Cherokees.

An Archer is basically a Cherokee 180 with more room in the back seat and a tapered wing. Should be a very easy transition.

Heck, the only diff with the Arrow is an extra 20hp (unless it's really old), CS prop, and folding legs.

It would be nice if Kent didn't misrepresent or actually outright lie about what I've said and written in the past.

A, I was just ribbing. Hence, the smilie. B, I don't think I'm misrepresenting what you've said here at all, though I think it was in chat.

An Archer is basically a Cherokee 180 with more room in the back seat and a tapered wing. Should be a very easy transition.

Heck, the only diff with the Arrow is an extra 20hp (unless it's really old), CS prop, and folding legs.

I would do the Arrow and get my complex endorsement except I wouldn't have enough time to be able to fly it due to the insurance. We have one up here and there have been 3 or 4 people have that problem, pay for the endorsement only to be told after that "oh, you can't fly this plane without the instructor"

I would do the Arrow and get my complex endorsement except I wouldn't have enough time to be able to fly it due to the insurance. We have one up here and there have been 3 or 4 people have that problem, pay for the endorsement only to be told after that "oh, you can't fly this plane without the instructor"
Many schools are like that. For us, it can take a few flights totaling around five hours or so just to show continued proficiency being on top of procedures. There are too many episodes of folks landing gear up not to be careful in such a checkout.

Well, definitely ask what the requirements are before you get to that point. Here, the minimums for the Arrow are 150 total time, complex, and 5 in type. That's really quite reasonable, IMHO. There are other schools that never let anyone rent complex planes solo, which is stupid. But every school is different, so if you're interested, be sure you ask what their solo rental policies are. :yes:

Well, definitely ask what the requirements are before you get to that point. Here, the minimums for the Arrow are 150 total time, complex, and 5 in type. That's really quite reasonable, IMHO. There are other schools that never let anyone rent complex planes solo, which is stupid. But every school is different, so if you're interested, be sure you ask what their solo rental policies are. :yes:

Our club's minimums for our Arrow are 100 hours tt and (if you don't already have time in type) 10 hours dual. I hit the 10 hours dual and 100 hours tt at the same time (by total coincidence). In addition, you have to fly it at least 3 hours in a 180 day period, or get signed off by an instructor again. Got my complex signoff in it. Those requirements are driven by our insurance.

Yea insurance runs the aviation industry more than any other factor it seems.

I've been doing a little more looking around and it seems the Piper Tomahawk is the cheapest to rent. What do you guys thing of these? Would it be an alright plane to take around Texas? Or should I pay the $20 more and fly the Warrior, or $30 more and fly the Archer?

I've been doing a little more looking around and it seems the Piper Tomahawk is the cheapest to rent. What do you guys thing of these? Would it be an alright plane to take around Texas? Or should I pay the $20 more and fly the Warrior, or $30 more and fly the Archer?
Be sure to inquire of their instructor rates and what they require for rental checkout. Some tend to nail ya there as I brought up before. I don't like that and wish it were different.

If you just want to poke around Texas and need a plane for one and bags or two smallish people the Tomohawk is a fine airplane. If you don't want to learn a new airframe, the Warrior will basically be the same as the Cherokee you're used to. If it was just me...I'd just as soon save the money and fly the Tommy.

Back