Rental Rules

You still don't have me sold on Touch and Go's in a complex (plus, with most cessnas the miture and prop require the push of a button or a twist to move while the throttle does not). In fact, I won't do a touch and go (especially with a student) in anything more complex than a 172. In a 172 you have 3 things to reset before you add power; however, let's say you make the small step up to a 182. Those 3 items increase to 5 knobs you have to make sure are in the correct position (Cowl flaps, trim, flaps, prop, and carb heat). That's alot of fiddling around and if nothing else, I've noticed pilots getting borderline on directional control while making these configuration changes in something as simple as a 150, which can result in a different set of problems. I'm leaving mixture out since that is generally aleady set if you're staying in closed traffic. The exception I'll make is if there is another pilot in the other seat to re-configure for me. Maybe I'm being excessively cautious, but you sure won't see me in line for a 44709 due to a student grabbing the wrong lever on a T&G and gearing up the airplane.

If I ever mistake the flap handle, which is on the floor, for the gear switch, which I have to reach around the yoke to get to, I have bigger problems than a 709 ride.

If I ever mistake the flap handle, which is on the floor, for the gear switch, which I have to reach around the yoke to get to, I have bigger problems than a 709 ride.
In your piper it's not so easy to do. In a Cessna, it's alot easier.

I'd have to go look, but pretty sure I have plenty of T&G in a 172RG. Hundreds. It's a non-event if you're doing proper handle ID before moving things.

Systems Homework: What happens in most Cessna singles if you aren't flying and put the gear handle in the up position?

Systems Homework: What happens in most Cessna singles if you aren't flying and put the gear handle in the up position?

The gear will stay down until you lift the nosegear. Cutlasses and Cardinals have only one squat switch.

This will occur with the other two wheels on the ground if you do it correctly.

No guarantee if the squat switch wiring is broken. From the looks of it, this shouldn't be difficult to do.

I can give some respect to the pilots that that think retract T&Gs just aren't worth the risk however, if the PIC's total awareness is at a lowered level such that this is a significant factor and the PIC KNOWS IT, it is probably better that they don't fly solo until their awareness level is sufficiently increased by any of the traditional means, because that known deficiency will overlap into other critical PIC tasks.

I can give some respect to the pilots that that think retract T&Gs just aren't worth the risk however, if the PIC's total awareness is at a lowered level such that this is a significant factor and the PIC KNOWS IT, it is probably better that they don't fly solo until their awareness level is sufficiently increased by any of the traditional means, because that known deficiency will overlap into other critical PIC tasks.

Sounds like they should have made that decision prior to flinging the prop.

The gear will stay down until you lift the nosegear. Cutlasses and Cardinals have only one squat switch.

This will occur with the other two wheels on the ground if you do it correctly.

No guarantee if the squat switch wiring is broken. From the looks of it, this shouldn't be difficult to do.

182RGs also only have 1 squat switch, and it's on the nose. The nose is lifted at 50kts and rotate is at 60 FYI.

No one's looked up the schematic for what happens if there's a squat switch or wiring failure yet? :)

Slackers... heheheh...

The circuit can't be closed, the power pack literally can't be operated. The only way to bring the gear down if the wiring breaks when the gear is up, is to pump it down manually.

And you can't bring it up if the wiring or squat switch break on the ground or during the T&G.

The circuit is OPEN on the ground. Weight off the nosegear CLOSES the circuit and allows the gear to operate. Malfunctions in the switch or wiring leave the circuit OPEN.

Fun with schematics... and knowing your systems... :)

And then there's Mr. White's failure... where the pump kept trying to run, and run, and run... a completely different switch...

Back