Rental prices keep rising... :/

wbarnhill

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
iEXTERMINATE
91$/hr wet for the DA-20, was 80$ in Sept. 2005.

105$/hr wet for the 172s, used to be 86$ in Sept 2005.

And there's also the lovely fuel surcharges on top of those rates. Instruction rates have also risen. Used to be 30$ across the board, now all flight instruction is 39$/hr and 34$ hr for ground.

It's not terrible, but makes me yearn for the ol 93304. (65$/hr wet C-152, sold last year.)

I wonder if we will see more flying clubs as a result of higher prices?

I'd love to see a club around here. We have a "club" at our school in Gainesville but it cuts the rates only by about $20/hr by paying that $22/mo "dues."

Want to see contrast? When I first got my private ticket in 1981 at Navy Jax Flying Club, I paid $18/hr for an old 1956 C-150 with manual flaps. That was actually kind of a thrill to pull those things.

The most expensive was $22 for a 1978 C-152. Instructors were $15. The only Skyhawk we had was $24. There were a couple other planes like a T-34 but I cannot recall their pricing. I paid $1800 to complete my private ticket back then. When I returned to flying in 2005 and got current for taking the 709 ride, I spent over $4000.

I'm amazed at how far behind instructor rates have remained. It was a part-time gig back then for most although the rates were pretty good compared to most pay. It's way behind today given all other costs to a CFI such as insurance, etc. :rolleyes:

1956 C-150 with manual flaps. That was actually kind of a thrill to pull those things.

Well ............. have I got a treat for you at Gastons. :yes:

WOW........... lots of ridiculous things I could type here......... just can't pick one. :D Maybe after another cup of coffee.

85 for 172Ps here
115 for 182RG

prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too will grow old.

I'm amazed at how far behind instructor rates have remained. It was a part-time gig back then for most although the rates were pretty good compared to most pay. It's way behind today given all other costs to a CFI such as insurance, etc. :rolleyes:

Look at what tennis and golf pros get compared to CFI's -- and last I checked no one died because you have a bad golf swing??!! :no:

Well ............. have I got a treat for you at Gastons. :yes:

WOW........... lots of ridiculous things I could type here......... just can't pick one. :D Maybe after another cup of coffee.
Had enough coffee yet? It's 10.45AM there! :D

Dang Arizona time messes with me when I want to call my sister in Scottsdale!

Look at what tennis and golf pros get compared to CFI's -- and last I checked no one died because you have a bad golf swing??!! :no:

I assume you two pay your instructors above and beyond the rate the FBO charges then?

GULP !!! :redface: :redface: :redface:

Then you do not want to know what the ski area charged for my time as a Private Lesson Ski Instr at Vail.... OK, so you really want to know?:no:

$625 for 6.5 hrs. :hairraise:

This comes out to $96.15 p/hr :eek: , not including a possible tip or maybe lunch. This also did not include the lift ticket or equipment.

Please remember- this is what the company charged- not what I made! :(

I sure hope all my clients felt I was worth it! ;)

Substantially elevated, but somewhat steady here at HPN:

C172SP (non-G1000): $132.50, $137.50, $139.50/hr wet
C172SP (G1000): $150.00, $155.00/hr wet
C182T (G1000): $196.00/hr wet
C206 (G1000): $225/hr wet

CFI: $50/hr

Fortunately I get the employee discount through my dad, so it's not so steep.

what do the instructors get out of that 50 bucks jason?

When I did my private it was:

C150: $55 /hr
C172: $75 /hr
BE-24: $100 / hr

Now I'm paying:
DA-20: $100 / hr
C-172: $92 / hr
DA-40: $165 / hr

Thankfully my income has went up to handle the price increase. But it still hurts.

what do the instructors get out of that 50 bucks jason?

I've offered to pay CFIs directly, and they usually say no...only one has ever taken me up on it.

I'd rather CFIs get the money instead of the FBOs, as the FBO is doing nothing in most cases other than being the place where student/teacher meet.

BUT, at West Mesa Aviation at KAEG (RIP), the instructors were paid $20 per hour out of the $25 per hour they charged back then. Not good, but not bad either.

I've offered to pay CFIs directly, and they usually say no...only one has ever taken me up on it.

I'd rather CFIs get the money instead of the FBOs, as the FBO is doing nothing in most cases other than being the place where student/teacher meet.

BUT, at West Mesa Aviation at KAEG (RIP), the instructors were paid $20 per hour out of the $25 per hour they charged back then. Not good, but not bad either.

yea its a fine line to walk. i get 12.50 of 25.00 charged. good thing im only doing this to buy tows and food. FBO doesnt like it much when I do instruction on the side, except if its in an airplane that their insurance wont cover me in (ie Chris' RV-7). I suspect the people who have turned you down do so because of insurance issues. If I instruct on my own I get paid more but I open myself up insurance wise. I dont have a personal CFI policy since 99% of my instructing is through the FBO, plus I can't afford it. So really, I cant afford to do much instructing outside of the FBO.

i get 12.50 of 25.00 charged.
Now that is pretty sad. I think I was getting about that much... in 1985. I think the school was only getting $20, though. Funny, I thought I was underpaid even back then. :dunno:

Not that much I bet. I've offered a tip to my CFI on one or two occasions, but he always refused. He doesn't charge me for ground instruction either which is very kind of him.
My IR instructor typically added only .3 to the flight time unless there was a significant amount of time spent as actual ground training. Just about everyone else added at least .5. A new CFI began tagging on the exact amount of time and that included any time I had to wait on him before and after a flight. The last CFI I finished my Comm with was pretty relaxed about it. Rates were $39 at the lowest while the chief and previous IR guy got $44. The aerobatic guys get $60. These are the "club" discounts. Tack on another 20% if you're a walk-in. I have no clue what the CFI's get out of these amounts.

85 for 172Ps here
115 for 182RG

prices will rise, politicians will philander, you too will grow old.
and when you do you'll fantasize that when you were young prices were reasonable, politicians were noble and children respected their elders.

84 for 172Ms here, 124 for 182RG. Instructor is 26, of which I get 18. I can't complain though, I get a base salary as well.

And there's also the lovely fuel surcharges on top of those rates. Instruction rates have also risen. Used to be 30$ across the board, now all flight instruction is 39$/hr and 34$ hr for ground.

It's not terrible, but makes me yearn for the ol 93304. (65$/hr wet C-152, sold last year.)

Let's see ...

3 1/2 gal/hr for my homebuilt which also qualifies for SP (no paying
for medicals) and will go about 120 mph. Mmmmm .. let's see that's
about $14 /per hour. And I do the inspections and maintenance.
You guys just gotta rethink you're plan.

Let's see ...

3 1/2 gal/hr for my homebuilt which also qualifies for SP (no paying
for medicals) and will go about 120 mph. Mmmmm .. let's see that's
about $14 /per hour. And I do the inspections and maintenance.
You guys just gotta rethink you're plan.

What homebuilt? I've really been thinking about that kinda route as my primary flying since I don't have enough people around me who enjoy flying to have pax most of the time.

hrm.

And there's also the lovely fuel surcharges on top of those rates.

Flying club, all prices per tach hour wet:

Traditional IFR equipped 172: $82
Archer III with all the toys: $110
182 with all the toys: $147

heck i feel better already. i figure it cost me about 80 an hour to fly my cherokee. of course that includes the 6000/yr hangar! fwiw, tc

Back