Rental options near Pittsburgh?

Ozone

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Ozone
Does anyone have any local knowledge about rental options near pittsburgh, PA? It seems like the area is somewhat lacking in flying options with that big 'ol class B airport in the way.

I fly out of Indiana PA, but I'm pretty sure there are rental options at both AGC and LBE, neither of which are too far from the city. AGC has the Pittsburgh Flight Training Center (PFTC) and at least one flying club harbored there, so they might be helpful. LBE is further to the west and seems to have some aviation companies/clubs and I believe PFTC operates there as well. BTP might also have some options, which is north of Pitt.

Best of luck!

Does anyone have any local knowledge about rental options near pittsburgh, PA? It seems like the area is somewhat lacking in flying options with that big 'ol class B airport in the way.

You can try the flight school at LBE (Arnold Palmer Airport).

http://westmorelandflightschool.com/

I'm not sure if they rent to non-students, but you can give them a call.

there is a flying club in Zelionople(spelling) and they rent planes and have several to choose from also try Beaver there is a training facility there too and they might rent to non-students, Pgh flt training doesn't rent anymore, they use thier planes for training only hope this helps

Here's the explanation I got from 9G1: "we don't rent our aircraft out for distances over 100 mi"

Has anyone ever heard of such a thing? In a standard piper trainer, that means they dont want you flying more than 45 minutes one-way; how they know is beyond me. Also, this seems like a business model doomed to fail.

At BVI, Moore Aviation rents out 172Rs, Warrior IIIs, and a 172M to the general public. The only major restrictions I can recall off the top of my head are no flights beyond midnight or over the Appalachian Mountains, and the Great Lakes islands are off-limits (so no trips to Put-In-Bay). The fall semester at CCBC begins Monday, so weekdays will be fairly busy, but weekends are rather quiet. Not sure if ACES Aviation across the parking lot rents out their DA-20s and DA-40 to the general public.

Elsewhere, there is AirQuest Aviation at BTP, but I'm not sure if they rent out to the public. Haski Aviation at UCP has a couple Pipers. From what I hear, Pittsburgh Flight Training Center at AGC does not allow rentals without a CFI. There are flying clubs at BVI, PJC, AGC, and LBE if you want to go that route, and even a soaring club in Washington County at a grass strip.

Back