Rental / Dual time in Phoenix area

kujo806

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
kujo806
I will be taking a business trip to the Phoenix area in a few weeks, and I am thinking about renting a plane and getting a little dual mountain flying in. I live in Iowa so all of my flying has been flat land flying.

Any suggestions for which airport/FBO to use? Who has the best aircraft/instructors to rent? Points of interest to fly to?

I own some land in the airpark near Payson, so I was thinking that might be a good spot to fly to, but I am open to other suggestions. Most of my flying is in an Arrow II, so I was thinking of flying something similar to see how the aircraft handles at altitude compared to what I am used to.

Fly up to Flagstaff. That's when you'll really feel the altitude. I don't really consider Payson as that high of a field. Depends where you'll be staying as to where to rent from. Full disclosure: I know the owner of a place called Sierra Charlie Aviation at Scottsdale, But I like their planes and Scottsdale is on the north side to save some time. C172s with G1000.

Falcon Field and Deer Valley get really busy so wait times are pretty long on the ground at times (source: I fly out of falcon). Most places will have you take an instructor into the mountains for a mountain check out.

I have mostly flown out of KCHD in Chandler, Arizona. The FBO I fly at is likely not suited for what you are trying to do. You might checkout Chandler Air Service. They have an Arrow IV that rents out at $155/hr. Their price for instruction is a little on the high side at $70/hr.

At KFFZ in Mesa there is an FBO called Classic Air Aviation. I am actually starting my tailwheel endorsement with them on Friday. I've only flown there once and it was back in 2013. They have an Arrow II there that rents at $159/hr. I believe they charge $60/hr for instruction. KFFZ is slightly farther North than KCHD.

I have flown to Payson before from KCHD. It is a pretty short flight. I think the field elevation is about 5200' and the runway is about 5500 feet long. Sedona is supposed to be a great airport to fly into also.

Sedona is supposed to be a great airport to fly into also.
I second that. Sedona is by far the most memorable flight I've taken, scenery-wise, and it's fun to land on the "aircraft carrier" mesa where the airport's located. Great restaurant too!

sedona.jpg

I remember I saw a C172 with G1000 for $100 on Craigslist. Think it was located at Chandler

Glendale. KGEU. Scottsdale, Chandler and Deer Valley are busy with corp and foreign students. Glendale's on the west side, much less traffic other than the AFB.

We rented a C172 G1000 at Deer Valley. Pretty busy airport as many others already said. Depending on how many hours you want to go flying, you may want to consider a (day) trip to Grand Canyon. We haven't been to Sedona yet, but it looks great from the air. :) Monument Valley isn't to far away also and can be included when you do a trip to Grand Canyon.

Have fun and take some pictures (and post those pictures! ;))

Back