rental aircraft that can hold 5 people?

dsffdssdf

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
fff
Me and a group of 4 friends want to take a weekend trip in an airplane with me flying. I don't own an airplane at this time, so we'll have to take a rental.

The flight will be from Santa Barbara, CA (KSBA) to Avalon (KAVX). In a light twin, thats about 45 minutes one way.

Not many planes exist that can hold 5 people (that are available to rent).

I'm based out of Santa Barbara, CA. Theres a Travel Air based here thats for rent that looks like it will be our best bet. The only problem is that with 5 people, its cutting it close

Does anyone know of a place in this area that rents out something bigger? Something like a Baron or a 310? Any place in Socal in fair game.

Me and a group of 4 friends want to take a weekend trip in an airplane with me flying. I don't own an airplane at this time, so we'll have to take a rental.

The flight will be from Santa Barbara, CA (KSBA) to Avalon (KAVX). In a light twin, thats about 45 minutes one way.

I'm based out of Santa Barbara, CA. Theres a Travel Air based here thats for rent that looks like it will be our best bet. The only problem is that with 5 people, its cutting it close

Does anyone know of a place in this area that rents out something bigger? Something like a Baron or a 310? Any place in Socal in fair game.

Travel Air will be very close, but you won't need much fuel for that flight. I hope it's a little kid in the back seat. There used to be a several Senecas for rent all through SoCal, that's probably your best bet. American Flyers has 310s but I don't think the rent them for anything but training.

Maybe American Flyers. Are you OK with the cost of this? Figure at least a one-hour checkride and then usually three hours per day minimum on the rental so as much as six hours. Could run up to $2k or more.

Travel Air will be very close, but you won't need much fuel for that flight. I hope it's a little kid in the back seat. There used to be a several Senecas for rent all through SoCal, that's probably your best bet. American Flyers has 310s but I don't think the rent them for anything but training.

its my understanding that the Duchess, Seminole, and the Seneca are 'trainer twins' and will have trouble holding 5 people while still being within the envelope. Of course, I don't have W&B so I can't really check for sure...

by the way, there will be 4 adult males, and one adult female.

Maybe American Flyers. Are you OK with the cost of this? Figure at least a one-hour checkride and then usually three hours per day minimum on the rental so as much as six hours. Could run up to $2k or more.

which american flyers are you refering to? when you google for "American Flyers socal rental", the first result is this thread!

its my understanding that the Duchess, Seminole, and the Seneca are 'trainer twins' and will have trouble holding 5 people while still being within the envelope. Of course, I don't have W&B so I can't really check for sure...

You can find a POH for just about any common rental airplane on the 'net. Just looked at one for the Beech 95. What's wrong with "cutting it close" on GW at sea level?

Just go to:

http://www.americanflyerssantamonica.net/

Though, like Henning said, they may not rent for casual use.

Duchess and Seminole only have 4 seats period. You can't haul 5 in those. A Seneca will have 6 seats (unless they have been removed) and as long as you aren't hauling luggage and a lot of fuel, it should haul 5.

No, the Seneca is a PA-34, same fuselage as the PA-32 aka Cherokee 6/Lance/Saratoga. The limitation you have to watch with it is the Zero Fuel Weight. We've put 6 people in the Seneca II many times. You do want to look for the Seneca II on up as they have the Continental TSIO-360s with 40 more HP than the Seneca I with the Lycoming IO-360, plus with turbos they'll carry the power and OEI performance higher.

If you dont have xx hrs in make/model, insurance may be a limitation. Many rental insurance limits number of seats occupied on aircraft with more than 4 seats until xx hrs are accrued as PIC. I've seen that limitation in singles and twins with 6 seats.

As posted before, watch the zero fuel weight limit, but the Seneca II (turbo) should work fine. If you can find one. Also check for the Cherokee 6, 6X for single engine with seats. Bonanza A36?

What's the point to go through all this for 45 min flight ?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

If you dont have xx hrs in make/model, insurance may be a limitation.

I know the FBO OP is referring to & IIRC their insurance has NO requirements for PIC or TT on any of their planes.

Expect a 1-2hr checkout with an hour of ground. Expect to be billed for all the time you've blocked out; whether you've used it or not.

What's the point to go through all this for 45 min flight ?

because catalina island is only accessible via airplane, unless you want to take a boat.

because catalina island is only accessible via airplane, unless you want to take a boat.

You could probably get your group out and back cheaper by helicopter charter.

I know the FBO OP is referring to & IIRC their insurance has NO requirements for PIC or TT on any of their planes.

Expect a 1-2hr checkout with an hour of ground. Expect to be billed for all the time you've blocked out; whether you've used it or not.

...if you take it overnight, they bill you for 24 hours...?

To the OP: PA32R-301 Saratoga, the earlier ones haul 5 people plus a few hours of fuel pretty easily.

Not a lot of options, I'm afraid, and fewer than there were 3-4 years ago.

I'm not aware of any Barons for rent in Socal. The only 310 I'm aware of is at Compton. Don't know much about the airplane or their policies.

Old Senecas can be found at Van Nuys (Encore) or Chino (AIA). Encore will definitely rent for non-training, but be aware that their Seneca I has a STOL STC with the ailerons replaced with full-span flaps and spoilerons, which makes it kinda squirrelly in roll.

There is apparently a Piper Navajo Chieftain for rent in Van Nuys. But, I think it is just rented for dual.

There is a beautiful looking and nicely equipped Cessna 340 available for rent or dry lease at Van Nuys. But, I suspect that getting the necessary insurance checkouts will be mighty pricey.

If you were willing to join a flying club, there is a Saratoga at 8 Ball Flying Club at Van Nuys and a Cessna 210 at Air-Spacers at Santa Monica. The Air-Spacers 210 checkout requirements are pretty steep.

Anyway, for your trip, I think I would suggest a helicopter charter or a charter in an Islander from Channel Islands Aviation at Camarillo. The charter flight from Camarillo is probably the fastest and cheapest way for you to get to Catalina from Santa Barbara by air.

Not a lot of options, I'm afraid, and fewer than there were 3-4 years ago.

I'm not aware of any Barons for rent in Socal. The only 310 I'm aware of is at Compton. Don't know much about the airplane or their policies.

Old Senecas can be found at Van Nuys (Encore) or Chino (AIA). Encore will definitely rent for non-training, but be aware that their Seneca I has a STOL STC with the ailerons replaced with full-span flaps and spoilerons, which makes it kinda squirrelly in roll.

There is apparently a Piper Navajo Chieftain for rent in Van Nuys. But, I think it is just rented for dual.

There is a beautiful looking and nicely equipped Cessna 340 available for rent or dry lease at Van Nuys. But, I suspect that getting the necessary insurance checkouts will be mighty pricey.

If you were willing to join a flying club, there is a Saratoga at 8 Ball Flying Club at Van Nuys and a Cessna 210 at Air-Spacers at Santa Monica. The Air-Spacers 210 checkout requirements are pretty steep.

Anyway, for your trip, I think I would suggest a helicopter charter or a charter in an Islander from Channel Islands Aviation at Camarillo. The charter flight from Camarillo is probably the fastest and cheapest way for you to get to Catalina from Santa Barbara by air.

wow, thanks for the great information.

I don't really mind a lengthy checkout. I haven't flown since 2008, so I need a bunch of flying to get back into the saddle anyways.

I like the idea of taking a 210. I always likes those things. The only problem is that KSMO-KAVX looks like the most difficult route ever. Plus, with a single, you have to climb up high enough to stay within glide distance. KSBA-KAVX at least avoids bravo airspace... how would one even plan a flight with such a route?

wow, thanks for the great information.

I don't really mind a lengthy checkout. I haven't flown since 2008, so I need a bunch of flying to get back into the saddle anyways.

I like the idea of taking a 210. I always likes those things. The only problem is that KSMO-KAVX looks like the most difficult route ever. Plus, with a single, you have to climb up high enough to stay within glide distance. KSBA-KAVX at least avoids bravo airspace... how would one even plan a flight with such a route?

Either circle up into the Bravo, or orbit over the bay -> coastal route -> KAVX.

PS- airspacers is nice, but you have to buy an equity share for $3500-$4000.

What planes did you fly befor and how many hour hours? Not sure what they are but getting into a big plane like the ones needed, if you are used to a 172 and haven't flown in this long you are not going to be able to get into one of these quickly. Then again don't know your time frame.

...if you take it overnight, they bill you for 24 hours...?

They don't rent half their planes overnight. As for billing, if you reserve say a 3.5 hour block, they will charge you for 3.5 hours of instructor time- even if the instructor/plane isn't ready, or is with another customer, or you end 30 min early.

Billing for the plane is straight hobbs time- unless the meter breaks, then you are billed tach x 1.3 or 1.4. Which is fair, unless you are on a XC at full rental power & from when you entered the front door to when you left was only 3/4 of that time total.

More like 45 min vs all-day trip to the boat dock -> AVX.

Well, it's an hour boat ride, but you have to drive to San Pedro to get to the boat. Renting a boat to go to Catalina is tougher than renting a plane.

If you have not been to Catalina before and have not flown since 08 I recommend taking a Instructor that has been there. The runway has a optical illusion due to the crown in the middle and some days a down draft will be right off the cliff on short final.

If you have not been to Catalina before and have not flown since 08 I recommend taking a Instructor that has been there. The runway has a optical illusion due to the crown in the middle and some days a down draft will be right off the cliff on short final.

Typically the down draft at the cliff won't affect you unless you are climbing for the runway to get in under a 20' ceiling that sometimes exists there. The biggest hazard though is the speed bump after the first turnoff, best not to be on the brakes when you hit it.

plus one has a pa23-250, a malibu, and a 210

I fly the 8 Ball Saratoga to KAVX all the time. Just use the Miniroute through Class B, climb to 6,500 for safety, and cross.

The 8 Ball plane is amazing...new engine, interior (leather), and paint. Looks new. It's gorgeous and a real load hauler.

http://8ballfc.org/jm/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=23&Itemid=61

Rental price is less than an old FBO 172 when you join the club (rates are Tach, not Hobbs...saves 30 - 30%).

Back