Rent a House for Airventure by Seaplane Base

gprellwitz

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
Grant Prellwitz
One of my cousins has a house about 2 miles from the seaplane base on N. Point Comfort Rd. They've never rented it out before, but are considering doing it for the first time this year.

It's a 4 bedroom, 2.5 bathroom house with about 4 double beds (maybe one of them's a sofa bed), and there's room to throw down a sleeping bag or two, too. It has lakefront access. No car included, but there's a shuttle bus that runs between the main site and the seaplane base. Besides, the seaplane base is a REALLY neat place to while away the hours!

So I have three topics.
1) What's a reasonable amount they should charge for the house? Per day, or just rent it out for the entire event at once? I told her that I though it would be better to just do the entire house, rather than individual rooms.

2) Is this something that PoA might be interested in? I know a lot of people show up, and there's certainly a lot to be said for camping under the wing. But this way we could have a bunch of associated people together, we could rent a car (or someone could drive up, there are a number of midwesterners within a few hours drive), with indoor plumbing and a kitchen!

3) What tips would you give them as first-time "landlords" to make their job easier and to make the stay of whomever rents the place more enjoyable?

I usually rent a house in Kill Devil Hills, NC, off season. I'd recommend not leaving anything behind you wouldn't want broken, lost, or left out in the weather. Good, inexpensive items work the best. Set up a room with a padlock for "OWNER ONLY" stuff. Make sure everything works. Simple, effective rules for use of things like phones, cable, heat, A/C, and fireplaces.

You might also check to see if there is a management company in the area. That way, they have all the hassle and frees up the owner for their own pursuits.

Grant, as for costs, I have seen a big range in prices, but they are generally less than what it would cost to rent the same number of hotel rooms for a week. But it'll vary quite a bit, especially if the house for rent is a mansion with a pool, bar, game room, etc! I found a TON of ads on Craigslist last year when I was browsing there out of curiosity. As we get closer to summer you can look on there to get an idea of what people are charging (look under "sublets/temporary"). That is probably one of the best places to advertise (http://appleton.craigslist.org). There is also the Oshkosh Convention and Visitors Bureau at www.oshkoshcvb.org.

Here is info pulled from the AirVenture web site at http://airventure.org/2008/planning/where_to_stay.html.

"Rooms in these homes average between $50 and $100 per night and entire homes average between $200 and $300 per night. Starting March 1, 2008, you can call the Oshkosh Convention and Visitors Bureau's housing hotline at 920-235-3007 to reserve an entire house, a room in someone's home, or a camper/RV on their property. For current availability of private housing, visit the Oshkosh Convention and Visitors Bureau website at www.oshkoshcvb.org."

Back