Reno, NV: What Airport Do We Like? And FBO/Parking?

JoseCuervo

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
JoseCuervo
Headed to Reno, and trying to figure out which airport.

I was assuming to use Stead, and stay out of Reno, but I really can't find much on an FBO and parking.

Reno (KRNO) is likely handier than Stead, and I would prefer it. Just not sure what is available for parking and tie down fees for a single engine piston.

I could buy some fuel if needed to waive fees, or I can Likely tanker all I need.

The only time at Stead, it felt abandoned. No activity, nobody around any of the businesses. It was kind of strange.

(Carson City is likely too far, but I like that airport.)

I used to avoid KRNO and go to Stead or Carson. But over the last couple of years I've found that Atlantic Aviation at KRNO is great. They treat me and my humble Skyhawk like royalty. Yeah, fuel price is a little steep, but when I factor in that Atlantic gladly drives me to the nearby Nugget hotel where rooms can be had quite reasonably, the overall cost is not bad.

I used to avoid KRNO and go to Stead or Carson. But over the last couple of years I've found that Atlantic Aviation at KRNO is great. They treat me and my humble Skyhawk like royalty. Yeah, fuel price is a little steep, but when I factor in that Atlantic gladly drives me to the nearby Nugget hotel where rooms can be had quite reasonably, the overall cost is not bad.

I had the same great service from Atlantic at KRNO last year when I flew in there. Fuel is more expensive but I find it more convenient to fly in/out of KRNO.

I too have had good experiences with Atlantic. It has been a while, but they gave me a crew car for lunch. I think I just bought some fuel. It is an easy airport to fly into (KRNO).

I'm based out of KRNO and would not change that at all. Been to Stead once and it was a lonely place. The new terminal is nice and no issues with parking, but it did feel like I was all alone out there. Not even sure where to get fuel there.

For the fees at RNO, pick up the phone and call Atlantic. The ladies behind the desk are very good and will give you all you need to know to make a decision in about 5 minutes. Lot's of GA based out of there now. I can't answer those questions because I'm a tenant and don't have any fees to deal with (rent a hangar on the NE side).

Cheers,
Brian

Oh and pick your travel days wisely. Haven't flown in 2 weeks because this type of TAF has been the norm....

Valid: March 13, 2016 at 11:00 AM - March 14, 2016 at 11:00 AM
  • From 11:00 AM: Wind 180° at 30 gusting to 50 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Showers in the vicinity, Broken 5000', Overcast 10000', Wind Shear at 2000' from 250 (WSW) at 55 kt (VFR)
  • From 4:00 PM: Wind 190° at 25 gusting to 43 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Light Rain Showers, Broken 4000', Overcast 7000', Wind Shear at 2000' from 260 (W) at 65 kt (VFR)
  • From 10:00 PM: Wind 230° at 25 gusting to 45 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Showers in the vicinity, Scattered 4000', Broken 6000', Wind Shear at 2000' from 280 (W) at 65 kt (VFR)
  • From 7:00 AM: Wind 270° at 28 gusting to 37 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Scattered 4000' (VFR)

Oh and pick your travel days wisely. Haven't flown in 2 weeks because this type of TAF has been the norm....

• From 11:00 AM: Wind 180° at 30 gusting to 50 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Showers in the vicinity, Broken 5000', Overcast 10000', Wind Shear at 2000' from 250 (WSW) at 55 kt (VFR)
  • From 4:00 PM: Wind 190° at 25 gusting to 43 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Light Rain Showers, Broken 4000', Overcast 7000', Wind Shear at 2000' from 260 (W) at 65 kt (VFR)
  • From 10:00 PM: Wind 230° at 25 gusting to 45 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Showers in the vicinity, Scattered 4000', Broken 6000', Wind Shear at 2000' from 280 (W) at 65 kt (VFR)
  • From 7:00 AM: Wind 270° at 28 gusting to 37 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Scattered 4000' (VFR)

If the winds are this high in Reno, is it likely they are equally bad in Carson?

Yep....pretty much the same at Truckee, South Lake Tahoe, Carson City, Minden, and Stead. Watching my tree in the back yard trying to twist itself into a pretzel. It's pretty crazy right now.

KCXPReported: March 13, 2016 at 10:20 AM
  • From 11:00 AM: Wind 170° at 25 gusting to 40 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Showers in the vicinity, Broken 5000', Overcast 10000', Wind Shear at 2000' from 260 (W) at 55 kt (VFR)
  • From 4:00 PM: Wind 190° at 20 gusting to 35 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Light Rain Showers, Broken 4000', Overcast 6000', Wind Shear at 2000' from 260 (W) at 65 kt (VFR)
  • From 10:00 PM: Wind 200° at 23 gusting to 43 kt, Visibility greater than 6 sm, Showers in the vicinity, Scattered 3500', Broken 5000', Wind Shear at 2000' from 280 (W) at 65 kt (VFR)

I'm based out of KRNO and would not change that at all. Been to Stead once and it was a lonely place. The new terminal is nice and no issues with parking, but it did feel like I was all alone out there. Not even sure where to get fuel there.

For the fees at RNO, pick up the phone and call Atlantic. The ladies behind the desk are very good and will give you all you need to know to make a decision in about 5 minutes. Lot's of GA based out of there now. I can't answer those questions because I'm a tenant and don't have any fees to deal with (rent a hangar on the NE side).

Cheers,
Brian

Is the only transient parking controlled by Atlantic?

What is the trick getting them to drop you off at the Nugget?

Is the only transient parking controlled by Atlantic?

As far as I know, yes. The West side of the airfield has the NV Air Guard ramp, the airline terminal, and the cargo ramp. I know there is an area on the SW side that has a couple rows of hangars, but access is limited to card holders.

The Grand Sierra Resort may pick-up customers over there as well as the Peppermill. I've seen their "taxi" use Atlantic all the time (believe its a Gulfstream).

Cheers,
Brian

I used Atlantic at Reno a couple years ago for a Saturday overnight. Excellent service.

I was unimpressed with Atlantic. When I went there, they volunteered to organise a rental car for me. After the visit I found that I had been charged triple what they had quoted me in writing; I eventually managed to get that down to only double, but despite having volunteered to organise the rental, and being the sole point of contact, Atlantic could not care less and refused to assist in any way after the event.

I was unimpressed with Atlantic. When I went there, they volunteered to organise a rental car for me. After the visit I found that I had been charged triple what they had quoted me in writing; I eventually managed to get that down to only double, but despite having volunteered to organise the rental, and being the sole point of contact, Atlantic could not care less and refused to assist in any way after the event.

Timeframe (last week, last year, 5 years ago)??? Things have changed recently and I haven't found that to be the case in the last 7 months that I've been here. YMMV....

Cheers,
Brian

yeah RNO winds have been bananas for the last week or so. Flying back home from DC last friday, the guy flying our Mad Dog was just hammering the throttles through the gusts……felt like me flying behind the boat at night. I was impressed given the insane winds

Timeframe (last week, last year, 5 years ago)??? Things have changed recently and I haven't found that to be the case in the last 7 months that I've been here. YMMV....

Cheers,
Brian

Fall 2014.

Back