Reno next week

MAKG1

Touchdown! Greaser!
Display Name

Display name:
MAKG
I'm day-tripping out to Reno next week, winds permitting. Where is a good place to park a 182 for 3-4 hours? If afternoon winds or density altitude over the Sierra are too nasty, it may turn into an overnight. I'd prefer not to add fuel; the 182 can hold enough for two round trips and tankering over the Sierra is not ideal.

Is Atlantic the only game in town? The satellite image looks like there might be transient underneath the Tower, though nothing is charted or mentioned anywhere I can find. What kind of fees should I expect?

I'm presuming that Uber is the best way to get crosstown to UNR.

Excuuuuuuuuuse me, clearance delivery. They demanded it. Same at San Jose. What makes it weird to you?
That you had a problem. What exactly was it?

CD instructions are usually things like a single heading and/or altitude restriction, far less than a full-blown clearance. They do want to hear you have ATIS. Under a minute unless you play 20 questions. Heck, it's not much more than that IFR.

The satellite image looks like there might be transient underneath the Tower, though nothing is charted or mentioned anywhere I can find.
The parking area under the tower is where Atlantic tows the overnighter FLIBs. It's a bit of a hike from their front door, but they'll give you a ride in the golf cart.

Screen Shot 2017-06-21 at 4.34.28 PM.png

Last edited:
How do you get, let alone cancel, a VFR clearance in Class C?

Excuse my low hour knowledge but Im confused. Why would you need to cancel vfr clearance in class c?

Are you asking about flight following, how to get into class c?

Excuse my low hour knowledge but Im confused. Why would you need to cancel vfr clearance in class c?

Are you asking about flight following, how to get into class c?
You don't. The poster I was responding to was spouting nonsense. And apparently deleted his post.

The only VFR clearances you get in Class C are those you get at any other towered airport (taxi, landing, etc.).

Gotcha.. I was wondering if I was on a ignore list or something because it seemed there was a conversation going on I couldn't see.

Anyways, I'm not based in Reno but near by Minden..if your day tripping to Reno this time of year expect DA of 7-8000 if it's over 80 degrees. There's a couple TFR's near Reno for wildfire support. I personally wouldn't fly out of reno to cross the sierras any time between noon and sunset. Lately we have been getting wind with thunderclouds from the south later in the day between 5pm and sometimes a few hours after sunset. I'd plan on getting into Reno by 10am, and fly out the next day before 9am.

If you have any questions I'll answer them to the best of my ability!

DA of 8000 isn't a problem with long runways, as long as it isn't windy. I'll be in an older 182 with a service ceiling of 17700.

The TFRs were around Friday, but seem to have disappeared.

The big question is how to get into Atlantic with all the taxiway closure NOTAMs.

taxiway Lima will take you to Atlantic..just don't turn on Charlie as there were several closures when I was there yesterday. If your there in the morning ground control, or even tower when it's slow will help you. They are typically pretty friendly.

I made the trip today.

Went well, except I got stupid and flew into the wake of Mt Rose when I knew there was a 20 knot northwest wind. Moderate turbulence and a good head whack. So I flew directly away from the mountain to where I should have been in the first place.

Atlantic treated me quite well. Parked me right in front of the main door, charged me a grand total of $21.20 drop off fee, and free use of a nice crew car for 4 hours. I declined fuel as I was going to cross the Sierra again and wanted to be as light as possible.

Despite what one poster said, ATC wasn't the slightest problem anywhere, except for a NorCal dead spot right over the north shore of Lake Tahoe.

On departure, I got real impressed with that 182P. It has a three blade climb prop and STOL kit and just leapt off the runway and climbed at 800 FPM even with the 8000+ DA. I crossed Verdi at 10500, still climbing at 500 FPM. Not very fast, but it climbed like a homesick angel.

Last edited:
Very cool. I wish I could climb that quickly this time of year!

I'm impressed by the 22 bucks and a crew car for 4 hours. It' almost makes flying sound cheap. You couldn't get a taxi or uber for that

Back