Reno mid air

That's an impressive photograph in Story #2. He lost most of his tail in the collision!

I wonder why that meant he needed to land gear up?

That's an impressive photograph in Story #2. He lost most of his tail in the collision!

Wanted to land fast (knots) and needed the braking?

Assuming I knew that plane, I'd still say my first thought would be "I can fly it like this, sort of... best not to change anything now, because I don't know what it will do then."
If it had an ejection seat, maybe he could have tried dirtying it up at a safe altitude first... but ejecting would not necessarily be any safer than just coming in gear-up.

I can't comment on the need to gear up other than the pilot might have forgot to put the gear down. Gear has a stabilizing effect so putting it down shouldn't have hurt anything.

I am not sure whether 777 still has an active ejection seat. My guess is not since it saves a lot of weight to remove it.

Well, after reading some first hand accounts, it seems as if he tried to lower the gear, but sometimes the gear does not lower at the same time. This caused the aircraft to become close to uncontrollable so he brought the gear up.

The story on another website is saying he did two landing,,,, gear up.... Both times he was too far down the runway and was worried he would go off the end so he powered up and did 2 grind and go's.... Got it stopped on the third grind and go...:eek::yikes:...

If that is true... this guy has balls the size of Texas...:rolleyes:

Well, after reading some first hand accounts, it seems as if he tried to lower the gear, but sometimes the gear does not lower at the same time. This caused the aircraft to become close to uncontrollable so he brought the gear up.
It figures. Landing gear can give you a useful "strake" effect, but it's the in-between part that would scare me most, even if the mains came down in unison.

The story on another website is saying he did two landing,,,, gear up.... Both times he was too far down the runway and was worried he would go off the end so he powered up and did 2 grind and go's.... Got it stopped on the third grind and go...:eek::yikes:...

If that is true... this guy has balls the size of Texas...:rolleyes:
Wow, that takes some confidence in the airplane... maybe he's landed one gear-up before. :D

Back