Reno and race 39

Todd Copeland

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Glasair pilot
Sport Class Air Racing
39 minutes ago near Reno, NV
Fast glass! Jeff in race 39 qualifies at 403 mph! Congrats Jeff!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    84 KB · Views: 53
That is fast for Sport Class! Interesting to see how the Glasairs have really stepped up. It used to be all about the Lancair. Not sure what has changed, engines I guess?

That is fast for Sport Class! Interesting to see how the Glasairs have really stepped up. It used to be all about the Lancair. Not sure what has changed, engines I guess?

Primarily engines. Jeff Lavelle has done little aerodynamically. He really knows engines for sure, this year is a new engine. The last one, he flew back and forth to Reno, raced and didn't touch the engine three straight years from what I understand. He was quoted saying "the Lancair is probably easier to make it go 300mph than the Glasair, but the Glasair is easier to make it go 400mhp"
As a glasair guy, this is fun to watch!

Jeff flew several flawless races and his III is just stoopid fast. Parker did real well in his ThunderMustang but Jeff is going to be the guy to beat for several years - I keep praying for him to retire Sharp's qualifying and lap records and his III is fast enough now to do it - hopefully next year.

If Sharp set the records in the NXT on the shorter course (2008 I believe), then technically Jeff's III is already faster, I just don't know the answer to that one for sure.

'Gimp

It's ridiculous what some of these planes are doing these days.

Jeff flew several flawless races and his III is just stoopid fast. Parker did real well in his ThunderMustang but Jeff is going to be the guy to beat for several years - I keep praying for him to retire Sharp's qualifying and lap records and his III is fast enough now to do it - hopefully next year.

If Sharp set the records in the NXT on the shorter course (2008 I believe), then technically Jeff's III is already faster, I just don't know the answer to that one for sure.

'Gimp

I know he is hitting 420mph on the straighter stretches. It is fun watching what these guys do with their planes. I'm glad at least a few people other than me are interested, seems like very little attention is paid to it.

Back