Reno 2016 Sport class

Grum.Man

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
Grum.Man
I was browsing the Reno results over lunch and noticed that the top finishing airplane in the sport class would have finished 5th in the unlimited gold

How long if ever before the sport class is the fastest piston class at the races? Experimental aviation is amazing.

Last edited:
The rules for the air races have always been convoluted and excluded a lot of innovation and designs over the years. the biplane class comes to mind.

I was browsing the Reno results over lunch and noticed that the top finishing airplane in the sport class would have finished 5th in the unlimited gold

How long if ever before the sport class is the fastest piston class at the races? Experimental aviation is amazing.

I'm sure they'll get there, but designing and building an airplane capable of taking on the likes of Strega or Voodoo isn't easy. Recall Bob Pond and Burt Rutan's collaboration trying to do that back in the early 1990s.

Then again, like most things aviation, all it needs is enough money thrown at the problem and it'll probably be solved :D

Back