Renewing medical after nearly a decade - stumbling blocks?

U

Unregistered

After a half decade + hiatus, I'm contemplating a return to flying.

Medically speaking, I'm relatively trouble free, however I have three points that I want to make sure are not a problem before attempting to get a medical.

First off, in the past couple of years I've developed acid reflux. I have not seen a doctor for this and and treat it myself using zantac and antacids, and an occasional course of omeprazole. I researched this a while back and it didn't seem to be a stumbling block, but I will have to list the zantac and antacids as medications I'm currently taking. My research on this seems to have been mixed regarding documentation and the like (especially if it's considered GERD), but I've not been "diagnosed" with anything so I'm not sure how I would/should handle this.

The second issue - not long ago I saw a dermatologist because my feet sweat excessively. In my line of work I have to wear heavy duty safety shoes for 13+ hours at a time. At best my feet smell horrible at the end of the day, at worst my socks get soaked and I end up with blisters. The dermatologist indicated there was no problem with me, rather my choice of footwear (or rather lack thereof) that was the cause of my problem. I was given a topical clinical strength antiperspirant that I stopped using due to irritation.

My concern here is that I understand that hyperhydrosis (which the doctor said I do not have) can be a neurological disorder. I want to make sure that listing this doctor visit won't trigger any problems.

As a third point, I had a vasectomy done around three years ago. Do I need to list or otherwise document this? My research has turned up nothing...

FWIW I'm under 40, going for a second class cert.

For the acid reflux, one primary question is always, what is your BMI?

I used to suffer from reflux badly for a long time before I started flying, where I was doing Pepcid AC by the train care load.

Flying got me more aware of medical condition and need to drop weight. Now that I have dropped some (still have 30-40#'s to go), I rarely suffer reflux.

Diet change also helped. Drop the acidic foods and any other food/drink that you know triggers a reaction.

A question that also needs to be asking for your age, and with reflux happening: How at risk are you for diabetes?

Finally, if you haven't already done it, schedule and go to a thorough routine physical exam by your regular family doc. Let him be the one who either puts the stamp of approval on your forehead. Or, let him be the one who finds something that needs a bit more attention, and not the AME or FAA.

Keep us in the loop as you progress or have more questions.

PS. Regarding the foot problem, I guess you're ready for Trick or Treat :rofl:

No issues here. Gerd or hyperhidrosis, so long as the latter is not associated with vasomotor instability.

Try smartwool socks for your feet and heavy work boots. Expensive socks by dry feet are worth it.

Old Thread: Hello . There have been no replies in this thread for 365 days.
Content in this thread may no longer be relevant.
Perhaps it would be better to start a new thread instead.
Back