Renegade airplane

Yikes! Gotta love the comment: "Malfunctioning GEAR caused this accident..." I'd say the "malfunctioning gear was attached to someone's shoulders. Good thing the engine was in a pusher configuration on top of the plane. With a prop up front the carnage could have been a lot worse assuming the plane didn't tip up onto it's nose.

I've seen that before, but it's somehow more shocking the second time...:hairraise:

Good thing it was a pusher!!

I'm thinking that if it was a tract setup it would have noses up just the same because of the lack of a pilot, right? so there would have been prop strike that killed the engine.

I'm thinking that if it was a tract setup it would have noses up just the same because of the lack of a pilot, right? so there would have been prop strike that killed the engine.

Not necessarily. A pylon mounted engine creates a significant pitch down force when powered up. Most tractor setups tend to pitch up when power is increased.

Possibly... but at that moment when I see it plow into the crowd, my first thought is "good thing it was a pusher"!

Without the wing to knock you down first, even a pylon-mounted tractor could get you in that scenario.

Not necessarily. A pylon mounted engine creates a significant pitch down force when powered up. Most tractor setups tend to pitch up when power is increased.

ahh... didn't know that.

We had a local lose his left arm below the elbow last week due to hand-propping.

*shudder*

Back