Removing old King Radio

buzzard86

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
Jim R
Hey gang, I'm trying to do a quick troubleshooting swap with a known good KX170B radio but can't get the installed radio to budge. I thought I just had to loosen the set screw and it would pull out. What am I missing?

I may or may not be correct here.....

On some (like my radios), it's not only a screw that you tighten and loosen. There is sometimes a cam involved that has to be positioned correctly. So, loosen and then try to find the right position on the cam to allow the radio to come out. (fingers crossed....)

The kx-170b is just a cam, turn it a 1/4 turn only, to move the finger out of the slot and then the radio will pull out, if you turn the cam more than that, it’ll rotate up in to the wafer switch and destroy the radio.

Thanks guys. Saw the cam and the 1/4 turn limitation on the replacement radio, just wanted to make sure that the cam was the only thing that holds it in the tray before I pull a little harder on it.

Some of these old radios can be really difficult to pull out.... If you can push from the back it is much easier. Otherwise, I have had to remove adjacent avionics just to get them out

Some of these old radios can be really difficult to pull out.... If you can push from the back it is much easier. Otherwise, I have had to remove adjacent avionics just to get them out
Yeah, this one didn't want to cooperate but happy to report that it finally worked loose.

Sometimes radios and their connectors can be tight. One trick is to loosen the mount screw till it barely binds then grab the radio and gently wiggle it out till it hits the tang then loosen on the screw some more and repeat.
Read this^

Last edited:
Back