Removing goggles on IR checkride

I had a LOT of motion-sickness problems with my IR training. Under the hood, nerves, bumpy and really HOT in central Florida. It was so bad that the instructor (from PIC 10-day training) was actually on the phone to the home-office to see how he should handle scheduling the check-ride. I was instructed to just ask the examiner for level vectors for 5 minutes if needed. Yep, I did, and I passed.
FYI, I have found that 1-gal zip-lock bags are better than anything else. Wide enough to almost stick your head in. Having a well trimmed aircraft and/or an autopilot with heading and & level wings capabilities have helped me many times.
I have been flying now for 35 years. The last time I used the bag was not too long after my IR training (33 years ago). The confidence that comes with real experience helped my nerves. it's still bumpy and hot here in Florida, but without the nerves/fear, I don't get bad enough to need the bag. Also, hood time is not the same as real IFR. With real IFR, I did not have any problems. Foggles really mess up the brain.
Tony T.

I suspect that would be an interesting conversation with the examiner.... one that is probably worth bringing up and might give you points for knowing about your equipment and how to use it...
but
I also suspect that the DE's real motivation is more akin to "simulating" failure of an old school gyro AI. Pretend you're in a different plane, kind of thing
Agreed that you should know the ins and outs of your equipment, but there is also the fact that you're not being certificated to fly THAT plane in IMC, it's good for any plane. Even a janky old archer with a vacuum gyros and no backups.

So I was doing IR checkride prep today (my ride is on Tuesday). Went up with an instrument-rated buddy sitting right seat. Went out to the practice area. We have two G5’s stacked and a GTN750 in our Cherokee. Plan was to simulate partial panel and do a partial panel approach. Failed the top G5 by turning the screen brightness all the way down. Did some standard rate turns for a few minutes and then got into the approach. (It’s the RNAV15 at KRME). Flew to the IAF (about 12 miles of flying, so figure a couple minutes). Slowed the plane down for the hold. Did the hold. Came inbound, flew the approach to minimums and went missed, all with the G5 PFD failed, ie no artificial horizon. On the missed started feeling a little funky. Got to about 2,500 feet on climbout and told my buddy, “I gotta take these off for a sec.”

I didn’t get nauseous, but I’ve had this happen before where I just get a bit of the sweats and start feeling funky. I had flown for probably 25-30 minutes with no AH, doing turns, then a long descent (10-mile final) and then a real-life missed. As in nailed the throttle, positive rate, get the heck outta there.

Now that I think about it I didn’t feel funky until the missed. I imagine it was from the descent of the approach, then the accelerating climb. But my question is this: on my exam, would I get pegged if I have to pull off the foggles?

I struggled a bit with motion sickness when I started flying instruments and it took me a while to find the right pair of foggles. I will admit that I do have to take them off now and again. Probably every second or third flight. And after 5 minutes or so I’m fine, I put them back on, and I’m able to complete the flights no problem. Today, for example, after I put them back on we did an ILS circle to land to finish the flight. So it’s not like I have to take them off and I’m done. I just need to get my senses back I guess.

So what do you guys think? If I get feeling crappy on the checkride, to the point where I feel I need to pull them off, what should I do? And do you think the DPE will nail me for it? For info he’s a good guy, reputation of being a very fair examiner.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Does any of this happen in IMC?

So to let you guys know, I got it done. I am Instrument rated!

Oral was very thorough. Nothing academic (IMSAFE, PAVE, etc.). Went through every detail possible on en route and approach charts. The planned flight was to Dulles. I flight planned a STAR designated for prop and turboprops. Went through all that. Talked weather, regs. Had me talk him through a DME arc. Very thorough oral but very fair.

It was a freaking nasty day, overcast at 2,500, ice in the clouds, 15-mph straight crosswind at my home field. Bumpy, churlish, nasty, spitting day. Took off, did unusual attitudes right away. Flew about 25 minutes to a nearby field to do a localizer approach I’d never done before; did just fine. Went missed and then “partial panel” (top G5 dimmed) to the IAF for the RNAV circle to land at my home field. Went missed. Got the ILS back in, nice crosswind landing and done. Pulled up to the fuel pumps, and when we got out it started hailing.

Very thorough, very fair. And I did wear the ReliefBand Premier. No idea if it helped but I did just fine.

One small funny story from the checkride: on the first approach we were doing a localizer 33 with vectors. Approach turned us 30* from the inbound heading (300) and cleared us for the approach just outside the FAF (maintain 2,500 til established, etc.). Winds aloft were 270 at 30. I’m looking at the track on the GTN and I say to the examiner, “We’re never going to get over there on this heading.” Not ten seconds later approach comes on, “Cherokee 125, turn left ten degrees, you’re never going to get established on the vector I gave you.” Examiner laughed. After the checkride was over he said, “That’s when I knew you had good situational awareness.” I think it earned me some points. It was pretty funny at the time!

One small funny story from the checkride: on the first approach we were doing a localizer 33 with vectors. Approach turned us 30* from the inbound heading (300) and cleared us for the approach just outside the FAF (maintain 2,500 til established, etc.). Winds aloft were 270 at 30. I’m looking at the track on the GTN and I say to the examiner, “We’re never going to get over there on this heading.” Not ten seconds later approach comes on, “Cherokee 125, turn left ten degrees, you’re never going to get established on the vector I gave you.” Examiner laughed. After the checkride was over he said, “That’s when I knew you had good situational awareness.” I think it earned me some points. It was pretty funny at the time!
Congrats!

I have had several students with this problem. Get RID OF THE FOGGLES. Use a hood - such as the "hoodie" that clips on a hat. Foggles force you field of vision to be so small that you have to move your head side to side to see everything. That gives you the leans and vertigo.

I wonder if DPEs pay controllers for that test of your SA. If so, I failed it. On my instrument rating check ride, we got a vector shortly after takeoff and the examiner asked me, “Is this heading going to get you to your planned course?”

I have had several students with this problem. Get RID OF THE FOGGLES. Use a hood - such as the "hoodie" that clips on a hat. Foggles force you field of vision to be so small that you have to move your head side to side to see everything. That gives you the leans and vertigo.
Well the two hoods I ordered arrived any house as I was taking the checkride. Allarently Jeff over at Amazon decided to default me to Prime Day shipping rather than just using Prime. Anyway I thought about that, and it’s likely exactly that, having to turn your head so much with the foggles.

So to let you guys know, I got it done. I am Instrument rated!

Oral was very thorough. Nothing academic (IMSAFE, PAVE, etc.). Went through every detail possible on en route and approach charts. The planned flight was to Dulles. I flight planned a STAR designated for prop and turboprops. Went through all that. Talked weather, regs. Had me talk him through a DME arc. Very thorough oral but very fair.

It was a freaking nasty day, overcast at 2,500, ice in the clouds, 15-mph straight crosswind at my home field. Bumpy, churlish, nasty, spitting day. Took off, did unusual attitudes right away. Flew about 25 minutes to a nearby field to do a localizer approach I’d never done before; did just fine. Went missed and then “partial panel” (top G5 dimmed) to the IAF for the RNAV circle to land at my home field. Went missed. Got the ILS back in, nice crosswind landing and done. Pulled up to the fuel pumps, and when we got out it started hailing.

Very thorough, very fair. And I did wear the ReliefBand Premier. No idea if it helped but I did just fine.
Congratulations on passing. Now go enjoy flying and looking out the window again. There are still some fall colors out there to be seen.

Right after I finished the instrument rating, I logged a few hours in the schools Aeronca Champ trying to get my conventional gear sign off. No electrical system...and that was hands down the most fun I had flying even if I never did master it. Low and slow and simple.

Back