Remote towers - doomed?

Getting the #%$^@ bureaucrats at the FAA to actually fix anything or implement new technology usually proceeds at a pace similar to a herd of turtles chasing a flock of snails across a field of peanut butter.
You forget to add frozen molasses running uphill. I expect more from you.

Getting folks out of downtown to Leesburg is something that sounds easy and is a lot less likely to happen in practice - sure they can get people out there occasionally but not on a daily basis. The Tech Center is an entire facility of FAA people (and contractors) wandering around and working on new ideas and tech. I was just adding context to why a company is installing a system there.
Leesburg is also the home to Washington Center (ZDC), used to be one of the FSS sites (now Lockmart runs one just up the road is Ashburn). "Central Flow" is only mildly closer to DC in Herndon across Rte 28 from Dulles. I don't think physical proximity is a big thing.

I received the following response from the KGIF interim manager today:

We’re intimately familiar with the FAA program as the vendor we are working with, Frequentis, is the only virtual tower provider that is currently in the approval process. The two virtual towers that were shut down, were as a result of the vendor’s decisions to not continue with the certification process. As for the timeframe, we do not believe it will by anywhere near 5 years. Obviously FAA was trying to set an easily obtainable timeframe in their letter, however given we are already in process and working with the certification staff, we are comfortable that the timeframe will be much, much less than that. The really great thing for GIF is that Frequentis has agreed to make any modifications to the system that may be necessary based on the certification with FAA at no cost to GIF. So we have safeguards in place. Let me know if you need more information.

I'm still pretty skeptical and I don't share his optimism, but time will tell.

Back