Remote Tower Project

Wasn't this already tried in another location?

Another solution in search of a problem. Why don't we just make everything in life virtual? Personally I think this is pretty stupid.

Yeah, JYO has one. Maybe a solution in search of a problem for VFR GA, but I suspect the target audience is bizjets that prefer to have a tower for IFR ops.

Allegiant Air flew MD80s from Loveland to Vegas in the past, don't know if they still do.

Yeah, JYO has one. Maybe a solution in search of a problem for VFR GA, but I suspect the target audience is bizjets that prefer to have a tower for IFR ops.

That has been the reason for traditional Towers at airports that don't come anywhere close to having the traffic count to justify a Tower. It's probably scheduled service as much or more so than bizjets that get it done

Another solution in search of a problem. Why don't we just make everything in life virtual? Personally I think this is pretty stupid.

Virtual problems would be nice. Just think about something else and they’d all go away.

The JYO remote tower project is in dire straits. They aren’t even using the remote tower. Operations are out of a mobile tower in a trailer next to the taxiway. The plug is about to be pulled. May it rest in peace

The JYO remote tower project is in dire straits. They aren’t even using the remote tower. Operations are out of a mobile tower in a trailer next to the taxiway. The plug is about to be pulled. May it rest in peace
Any idea what the issues were?

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

Any idea what the issues were?

Sent from my SM-J737T using Tapatalk

The FAA’s poor micromanagement by people with no ATC backgrounds and the fact that the vendor has no SME’s in the ATC arena. There are site-specific rules that none of the users know about that are constantly changing. For instance, if the tower knows of inbound traffic that is still 80 miles away and it’s opposite direction of the flow of the runway, the traffic in the flow of the runway must be stopped and/or removed from the pattern until the opposite direction traffic has landed. Efficiency is not considered at all for this project. They will error on the side of safety even if it means separating 2 VFR airplanes that are 100 miles apart. This has caused significant labor strife on the project as well causing numerous controllers to feel the need to walk away from the project. There are no replacements to work there.

The FAA’s poor micromanagement by people with no ATC backgrounds and the fact that the vendor has no SME’s in the ATC arena. There are site-specific rules that none of the users know about that are constantly changing. For instance, if the tower knows of inbound traffic that is still 80 miles away and it’s opposite direction of the flow of the runway, the traffic in the flow of the runway must be stopped and/or removed from the pattern until the opposite direction traffic has landed. Efficiency is not considered at all for this project. They will error on the side of safety even if it means separating 2 VFR airplanes that are 100 miles apart. This has caused significant labor strife on the project as well causing numerous controllers to feel the need to walk away from the project. There are no replacements to work there.

SME ???

Back