Remote Light Switch?

Skip Miller

Final Approach
Display Name

Display name:
Skip Miller
Here is an annoying problem that could be solved with a simple gizmo. Does the gizmo exist?

I have a switched outlet that is in the wrong place. I don't need the light here, and I do need it over there. The walls are plaster and there is no access above or below, so relocating the outlet is clearly more hassle and expense than it is worth.

The switch is SPST. I am looking for a plug-in transmitter that will transmit an rf signal when powered on (and, obviously, not when powered off). Combine this with a receiver unit that will plug in near the needed location, and turn the light on when the rf signal is present.

No batteries. Yes I know about X10 but that too is overkill.

Anything out there that will work?

Thanks in advance! -Skip

Are the two outlets close enough to allow dropping a low voltage wire?
A wall wart wired to a relay.

Use X10 and it'll cost you a little over $20

1) Lamp or appliance module or X10 outlet on the load.

then
2a) Replace the switch with a wired transmitter: http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...tag=thepilotcast-20&m=A33RI86K4PO1EO&v=glance
or
2b) Put an RF transmitter/receiver on the source with the button taped down.
or
2c) Put the same RF on any other outlet and use a stick-on RF transmitter wall plate on the wall.

Last edited:
LOL!! POA amazes me sometimes! within 35 minutes of Skip's post, we have solutions!
God I love it when a plan comes together!

I have a remote controlled switch that plugs in on a short plug and is controlled with a small remote (that part has a battery) with on/off buttons. Got it at home depot. (I use it to switch an electric heater in the car during the winter - switch on when I get up, windshield is defrosted by the time I leave for work)

LOL!! POA amazes me sometimes! within 35 minutes of Skip's post, we have solutions!
God I love it when a plan comes together!

Andy, if you go with the X10 transmitter, make sure you get the one I linked or the other new one. Leviton has separate parts for the button pad and base on other models. You need both and it can cost $40 or more.

This is the "new" one at the same great price:

http://www.amazon.com/LEVITON-KEYPA...t-20&coliid=I2KNFFWRMP5WIW&colid=QHGX34ISIZUT

Back