Remote ID

Velocity173

Touchdown! Greaser!
PoA Supporter
Display Name

Display name:
Velocity173
So the requirement for remote ID (outside of FRIA) on UASs goes into effect on the 16th. From what I understand, the signal is a WIFI signal with a limited range. So the question is, anyone know if this transmission is seen by TCAS/ ADSB-in or even ATC?

I would think so, typically those ground based ADSB stations can help receive the signal too?

My understanding right now is no. Remote ID is coming from the security branch of FAA and it is not intended for Air Traffic purposes. Its more "hey there is drone that shouldn't be there, lets locate and get in touch with the owner/operator"

I also heard it was likely to be pushed back from the 16th.

I also heard that they have no idea what amount of compliance they are going to get for the first couple years or when they will really start to lay down the hammer because they don't want to overly punish the "careless and clueless" hobbyist crowd.

My understanding right now is no. Remote ID is coming from the security branch of FAA and it is not intended for Air Traffic purposes. Its more "hey there is drone that shouldn't be there, lets locate and get in touch with the owner/operator"

I also heard it was likely to be pushed back from the 16th.

I also heard that they have no idea what amount of compliance they are going to get for the first couple years or when they will really start to lay down the hammer because they don't want to overly punish the "careless and clueless" hobbyist crowd.
Yeah I’ve been hearing the same. Reason why I brought it up was one of the crews at my base filed a report on a drone. They said it was a small blue and white jet that was maneuvering rapidly and the pilot saw it on TAS / TIS-B. I wasn’t really buying that since a popular MTR runs through there but 2 weeks later, I believe I saw the same thing on my 500H. Rapid changes in altitude from + 1,500 to - 700 and anywhere from zero to 150 kts airspeed. I didn’t see it with my own eyes since it was 2 miles away but I don’t know of anything that can maneuver like that other than a turbine or ducted fan RC.

Yeah I’ve been hearing the same. Reason why I brought it up was one of the crews at my base filed a report on a drone. They said it was a small blue and white jet that was maneuvering rapidly and the pilot saw it on TAS / TIS-B. I wasn’t really buying that since a popular MTR runs through there but 2 weeks later, I believe I saw the same thing on my 500H. Rapid changes in altitude from + 1,500 to - 700 and anywhere from zero to 150 kts airspeed. I didn’t see it with my own eyes since it was 2 miles away but I don’t know of anything that can maneuver like that other than a turbine or ducted fan RC.
Haven’t you been following the congressional hearings about UFO’s that maneuver like anything? o_O

Haven’t you been following the congressional hearings about UFO’s that maneuver like anything? o_O
Yeah but I didn’t know Garmin was secretly supplying them with transponders.

uAvionix is making some ridiculously small ADS-B / Mode-S transponders now (and Im sure others are too) so its very possible that a nice RC or other drone had one.

47 x 72 x 10 mm and 52 grams

Much like hobby GA, I don't get the impression that hobby RC is the target audience. I miss my big boy rc toys from yesteryear, but the path to regulatory compliance bliss has been the sub-250g space. It's like LSA for RC ;)

In related news, UPS is using these for BVLOS:

Electric multirotors may part VC fools from their money, but a jet-a autonomous K-MAX gets **** done :)

previously

Much like hobby GA, I don't get the impression that hobby RC is the target audience. I miss my big boy rc toys from yesteryear, but the path to regulatory compliance bliss has been the sub-250g space. It's like LSA for RC ;)
I think hobbyist is very much the target crowd. Hobbyist drone operators that are flying their camera up somewhere cool without getting authorization or without checking TFRs is the target audience. People following the existing rules and are aware of the FAA and aviation as a whole are not the problem.

...drone operators that are flying their camera up somewhere cool without getting authorization or without checking TFRs is the target audience.
Such operators are neither hobbyists nor true Scotsmen and should be folded, spindled, and mutilated :)

Last edited:
Back