Remote Desktop App -- iPad

JGoodish

Cleared for Takeoff
Display Name

Display name:
JGoodish
Does anyone have a recommendation for a remote desktop app which works well on the iPad? Or is LogMeIn about as good as it gets for general desktop control?

I started out with Splashtop, but discovered two problems: the client-server connection wasn't encrypted, and it was intolerant of slow connectivity. When I'd switch from 3G to Edge (or even have slow 3G), the connection would drop or just outright fail. This issue alone makes Splashtop a no-go for me.

LogMeIn solved the connection issues, as it uses an encrypted connection and is far more tolerant of slow cellular networks. It works acceptably with a Bluetooth keyboard. It has some quirks, such as the time in which my PC screen locked with an expired password, and LogMeIn refused to establish a connection until the password was changed locally (but no issue changing it remotely with Splashtop). Unlike Splashtop, I believe that LogMeIn uses an intermediary server for the entire connection, as opposed to direct client-server communication.

I've heard recommendations for RDP and VNC, though I"m not sure how tolerant those protocols are to slow cellular networks, or if they'd provide enough meaningful benefit to make investing in an iPad app (such as JumpDesktop) worth the effort and expense.

Thanks,
JKG

I'm on logmein quite happy as I use it for work

Their Ignition app is pricey, but works very well.

And the free Logmein client software plus Dropbox (also free) covers the rest of the spectrum for me.

Thanks, folks. Sounds like LogMeIn + DropBox is as good as anything. I did look at TeamViewer, which appears to be very similar to LogMeIn. Just wanted to make sure that I wasn't missing something.

Thanks,
JKG

I've been using the Mocha one on the iPhone with good success.

Splashtop. I control and listen/watch whatever is stored on my computer at home.....like my King videos I ripped.

Back