Remote camera in aircraft

gibbons

En-Route
Display Name

Display name:
iRide
Wondering if anyone could direct me to some web sites on the topic of running multiple "lipstick" cameras into a single DV camera?

I'd like to set up a couple of cameras in my airplane, one in the front and one out on the wing, and am looking for options and prices.

Thanks,

Chip

gibbons said:
Wondering if anyone could direct me to some web sites on the topic of running multiple "lipstick" cameras into a single DV camera?

I'd like to set up a couple of cameras in my airplane, one in the front and one out on the wing, and am looking for options and prices.

Thanks,

Chip

Chip, I don't know of any real way to run three cameras into a single DV recorder without using a separate switcher box. Switcher boxes or quad splitters are used for security applications.

I think you're going to be better off with a couple of DV cameras or something similar & using a program like Pinnacle Studio to do the editing. You might be able to get away with an external video digitizer(s) and firewire interface to a computer.... but if you're going to all that trouble, you might as well use separate camcorders.....

Bill,

I've thought about that and it's an option, but I've been in a couple of airplanes (Air Combat SF260 and an Extra 300) that had three or four lipstick cameras - one out on the wing, one forward looking, one looking into the cockpit, one in the tail - and a switching device feeding a single camcorder with an external monitor. The intercom fed audio directly on to the tape.

This is what I'd like to do but I can't find the equipment online. I guess I'll call tomorrow and see what they have for the Extra.

Thanks,

Chip

Chip, I've bought a number of small cameras from these guys as well as a switcher. They're based here in Atlanta, and have always given me good service. I mounted some very small color cameras right at the wheel on our local mass transit railcars to watch the wheel/rail interface. Mine would actually work for several hours on a 9volt alkaline battery.
It does audio, and has simple RCA style connectors.
http://www.polarisusa.com/cgi-bin/view_product_detail.pl?product_category_id=1&template_id=148

You would need to ask them about focal lengths and such.

Look around the site.
Hope this helps.
KL

That's more like it. I'll hit it from that angle.

My son says they make these packages for cars so I'll check that out too.

Thanks,

Chip

gibbons said:

Chip,

Search Google for the term "Bullet cameras". That's the more "technical term" for the commonly-called "lipstick cams", and I bet you'll find all the ancillary equipment you need.

Troy

Chip, one problem you will have is that with any inexpensive setup, you will get a glitch when switching between cameras. As long as you plan to edit the video you can remove the glitches then, but some video recorders don't handle a temporary loss of sync well either.

Also, unless you really need the small size of a "lipstick" camera, I'd go with something like Polaris's board cameras like this one:

http://www.polarisusa.com/cgi-bin/v...ory_id=&product_category_id=1&template_id=176

It's optimized for daylight and the larger format CCD (1/3" vs 1/4") means more dynamic range. One thing you need to figure out is what kind of field of view (FOV) you need as this will dictate the lens focal length. If you know the angle you want included in the picture, the FOV can easily be calculated. You can also just buy a range of lenses and pick the one that gives the FOV you like best. It may be desirable to use a different FOV out the front vs the sides, and it's really likely you will want a wider FOV for inside cockpit shots.

I have a three-camera system built into my Extra 300L. I connect it to a Sony DV Handycam, which is secured in the cockpit. For examples of the videos I'm able to capture, visit the Videos section of www.BruceAir.com.

Note that I'm not able to record feeds from all three cameras simultaneously. I use a switch box in the cockpit to select the tail, wing, or front-seat "hero" cam as I fly.

I'm thinking seriously of adding a head-mounted camera for pilot POV shots. I read about the new Viosport camera last week in the NY Times. For more information about the camera, see:
www.viosport.com/store/customer/ourgear.php?page=ac3_overview.

You can find many similar systems by searching for "bullet camera," "helmet camera," or "lipstick camera."

-Bruce
www.BruceAir.com

Lance and Bruce,

Thanks for the feedback. Bruce, if you get a chance could you post a couple of photos of your camera, monitor, switch setup? Did they do that in Florida or did you do it? The quality is very good I think. I'll take all the info you care to provide. You can e-mail me at the address in my profile.

Thanks,

Chip

The camera system was installed before the aircraft was delivered. For details on what they're offering now and have done in the past, you should talk to the folks at Southeast Aero (http://www.seaeroservices.com/contact.asp). Chip Bonner is a good guy to ask.

You can also talk to Craig Fordem of the Aerobatic Experience (http://www.aerobaticexperience.com/). He's had lots of experience with camera systems in Extras and has a nice setup in his airplane.

A picture of my setup in the rear cockpit is at:

http://www.bruceair.com/extra_300l.htm

The camera switch box is in the lower-right section of the panel; note the blue toggle switches. If I had specified the installation, I would have put the switches on the left side, where you can manipulate them without taking your hand off the stick.

-Bruce

Hey Bruce

How does the Sony DV cam hold up when you start pulling G's? Any frame drops or disruption in the record heads?

I've had no G-related problems with the setup that I use. I typically fly between +6 and -3, and it's never skipped a beat.

The artifacts that you occasionally see in my videos are RF interference from the intercom and/or VHF transmitter, usually the latter.

It is important to ensure that the connections between the cameras and the recorder are good, but otherwise, it's never been a problem.

-Bruce

Bruce,

I've been wondering where to mount the video monitor but after seeing your setup I realize there's no need for a monitor. I'll give Chip a call. Thanks for the feedback.

Chip

I have a video monitor which can replace the sequence card hold on the panel. But I never use it. As you said, it's not necessary, and in my opinion, not useful. I always check the feed using the Sony HandCam's built-in viewing screen, and then I tuck everything away before takeoff.

Back