Remote area training for PPL

islandboy

Pre-takeoff checklist
Display Name

Display name:
islandboy
I live remotely and cannot likely spend much time at a training center away from home for Ground School, etc. I am therefore wondering about online groundschool options that could possibly be linked to practical flight training in the US Virgin Islands.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

I am sure folks familiar with the online offerings will be able to review them for you. I have lots of experience with home study products on DVD, CD, or VHS tape. I actually collect older training materials and have about 500 VHS tapes.

Last edited:
I did all of my ground training with on line and video materials. Sporty's, King videos and a couple of others. I had my instructor explain a few things, but never did any classroom training and very, very little formal ground instruction with a CFI. I don't think it's unusual.

Take a look at the new version of the Gold Seal Online Ground School at www.FAA-Ground-School.com. You can register for free and get access to a third of the course without charge. Since 2006, over 27,000 people have joined. This brand new version for 2014 just went live last week.

Tell your CFI that he/she can join for free and monitor all his students online.

I haven't selected an instructor yet, given my residency situation. I had looked into a school in Antigua, but they would need me in Antigua for about 3 months, given the organization of their curriculum. This is unlikely to be practical for me.

I am investigating whether any of the USVI schools will accept online study (but haven't heard back) and wondered whether anyone on here might have some knowledge in this area.

Ask your flight instructor.

Self study is also an option, with your instructor's approval.

I haven't selected an instructor yet, given my residency situation. I had looked into a school in Antigua, but they would need me in Antigua for about 3 months, given the organization of their curriculum. This is unlikely to be practical for me.

I am investigating whether any of the USVI schools will accept online study (but haven't heard back) and wondered whether anyone on here might have some knowledge in this area.

Odds are, they'll work with you, but you really do want their input. It matters infinitely more than any random opinion off the internet.

Ground school is not usually a prerequisite to flying, and you'll learn it best if they are coordinated.

Regarding the flight training, can you afford to bring someone in with an airplane for a 2 - 3 weeks and knock it out in one go?

Off the top of my head, this kind of arrangement could prove trickier than might be suspected. To begin, a work permit may be required.

Regarding the flight training, can you afford to bring someone in with an airplane for a 2 - 3 weeks and knock it out in one go?

Off the top of my head, this kind of arrangement could prove trickier than might be suspected. To begin, a work permit may be required.

And it won't be cheaper than you travelling. You'll have to pay the instructor's expenses, including ferrying the aircraft. And this is in a resort area.

I doubt a work permit is required for US citizens and permanent residents.

I was referring to bringing a foreign (US) flight instructor into an independent non-US island.

I doubt a work permit is required for US citizens and permanent residents.

Last edited:
I was referring to bringing a foreign (US) flight instructor into an independent non-US island.

What would a US citizen, say from PR, need to work in the US Virgin Islands?

Unless you are in a Part 141 program, you can (from an FAA perspective) do ground school any way you want including books, on-line, DVD, interactive computer-based, or anything else you find. You would do well to discuss this with your instructor, but the FAA doesn't care how you do it as long as you pass the test.

I'm not sure about the rules on that one. The question may be largely moot, however, as there are several schools in the USVI with plenty of qualified instructors.

Based on the preponderance of interesting advice I'm getting, it looks as though procuring a flight instructor in the USVI who is willing to work with a graduate of an online ground school may be the most efficient method.

What would a US citizen, say from PR, need to work in the US Virgin Islands?

I primarily used King and Gleim, supported by some ASA books.

I'm not sure about the rules on that one. The question may be largely moot, however, as there are several schools in the USVI with plenty of qualified instructors.

Based on the preponderance of interesting advice I'm getting, it looks as though procuring a flight instructor in the USVI who is willing to work with a graduate of an online ground school may be the most efficient method.

I would think that most schools that operate under Part 61 and most independent instructors will let you home study without paying a lot of ground school time. Many schools that have a Part 141 operation also offer a Part 61 option.

Take a look at the new version of the Gold Seal Online Ground School at www.FAA-Ground-School.com. You can register for free and get access to a third of the course without charge. Since 2006, over 27,000 people have joined. This brand new version for 2014 just went live last week.

I paid for their online ground school and while the materials they had were great, they went lazy and some of their critical lessons consisted of nothing more than you downloading the free FAA chapters. I definitely feel a big gap in my knowledge after going through the entire course. If the brand new 2014 version fills the gap, it would make it a great online school. Unfortunately, my 1 year subscription is expiring.

Update: I just checked the 2014 version and it look like a major update which addresses the gaps I was concerned about. This makes it a great online school and I highly recommend it.

Last edited:
I paid for their online ground school and while the materials they had were great, they went lazy and some of their critical lessons consisted of nothing more than you downloading the free FAA chapters. I definitely feel a big gap in my knowledge after going through the entire course. If the brand new 2014 version fills the gap, it would make it a great online school. Unfortunately, my 1 year subscription is expiring.

John, I think you fill find that the new 2014 Gold Seal Online Ground School is gap free. It is a vast improvement over the previous version. Contact me through the website and we'll get you fixed up.

Thanks for the great customer support and the heads up on the 2014 version of the Gold Seal Online Ground School at www.FAA-Ground-School.com. I really enjoyed the easy to understand lessons from the previous version and with this version having additional materials, it will make it just that much more valuable.

Last edited:
Back