Remos here I come!

15 degrees or less on flaps and fly it on with power. That is how most learn to land SLSA.

If you start with landing flaps and a closed throttle you might scare your instructor until he's sure you have a good sense of where the ground is but you won't be reliant on that throttle.

The law of primacy does apply, you will likely do what you learn first.

I really do understand the appeal of starting out easy, then adding skills.

But I often see the results of the Law Of Primacy, in that many pilots end up preferring what they learned first, because it will always seem more natural end easier. And for their entire careers, full flap, full stall, power off landings will remain the unusual exception - not the rule.

But open to the idea that different instructors will come to prefer different teaching techniques.

edited to add: I just now saw Charlie Tango and I seem to be on the same page.

Last edited:
All you engine burpers turn in your man cards. Have you no pride?
Real men, manly aviators, don't burp their Rotax, they "pull the engine through" a few times, like a Spad or a Nieuport.
Wearing a leather helmet and silk scarf while you do it adds just the right amount of panache to lend credibility.

In addition to burping the engine, my instructor has taught me to thump the wings. Just to make sure the fabric is not loose.

So, the preflight is a process of look'n, thump'n and burp'n. Also a shake here and there.

I have landed the Remos full flaps power off from the get go. Freaked the instructor out the first time and he got real nervous when I held the nosewheel off after touchdown. I guess the power on, half or less of flap is the norm now. Don

Completed my checkout in the Remos! I am cleared to solo and take up passengers.

During the checkout we also flew over to Palm Springs (actually Bermuda Dunes), which conquered another fear of mine - flying through the Banning Pass.

Beautiful flight.

I flew a GX, N831RC, for an overnight trip this weekend. Rest assured that golf clubs would not fit into its baggage compartment. In fact, our smallish bag was just barely fitting. Perhaps they simply had the baggage rolling around the insides of rear fuselage in G3, but GX has a small dedicated compartment. Its cross-section is about as big as the opening behind the seat and it's about 3 ft deep. That's it.

In addition to burping the engine, my instructor has taught me to thump the wings. Just to make sure the fabric is not loose.

So, the preflight is a process of look'n, thump'n and burp'n. Also a shake here and there.
Fabric in Remos ?

Not only burp the engine,but it is good to pull on the wings to make sure the pins are set.

I'm religious about burping my Rotax and idling at less than 2000 RPM until the oil temp reaches 121 F. Only then will I do a run-up.

The CFI who checked me out taught the "burp" and my POH mandates the 121 F, so I stick wiff boff of'em!

First solo flight in the Remos today.

OH. MY. GOD. That thing takes off and climbs like an overpowered RC airplane without the extra weight of the instructor! Love it!

Took another flight in my beloved Remos today, after a month or so of spending time in other airplanes, like the Champ and C150.

That airplane sure is fun. Probably my favorite airplane, based on my limited experience.

Maybe I should buy one...l

Took another flight in my beloved Remos today, after a month or so of spending time in other airplanes, like the Champ and C150.

That airplane sure is fun. Probably my favorite airplane, based on my limited experience.

Maybe I should buy one...l
I agree. They are a lot of fun. Have about 50 hours in a G3. Doors off is great. Only thing I don't like is the high wing loading. You feel every bump, and with such a light control force required, bumps are interesting. Other thing that bothers me is that the rudder pedals are not sprung, and on long flights, legs get to cramping. Can't take your feet off the pedals at all, and always pushing on the right.

So your G3 requires right rudder even in cruise?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

So your G3 requires right rudder even in cruise?

I rent it, but yeah, it generally does if I want to keep the ball centered. I did a cross country last week that was 3 hours one way, 2 hours the other. Had to keep right rudder in the whole trip. Not a lot, but enough to wear my leg out. And since there not spring loaded, really have to keep both feet on the pedals.

The ball of my turn coordinator in the Remos I fly is slewed to the right even when the airplane is on level ground.

Is yours like this as well?

The ball of my turn coordinator in the Remos I fly is slewed to the right even when the airplane is on level ground.

Is yours like this as well?

You know, now that you mention it, I think it is. Guess I assumed the ramp where I do preflight was not level. Took my last flight for a while in the Remos this evening. Working on my tailwheel endorsement in a 1941 J3, and plan to fly it for a while.

Flight I took this evening was to our local EAA Crawfish boil. Good stuff. And the suction cup on my GoPro works. Finally got some good external footage.

https://youtu.be/HFvNVNRt6xk

Compared to the 172 the Remos will be like a leaf on the wind. Light control inputs are key. I've spent most of my student pilot time in one and enjoy it a lot - but it is not the heavy-ish sedan that you're used to.

I flew a GX, N831RC, for an overnight trip this weekend. Rest assured that golf clubs would not fit into its baggage compartment. In fact, our smallish bag was just barely fitting. Perhaps they simply had the baggage rolling around the insides of rear fuselage in G3, but GX has a small dedicated compartment. Its cross-section is about as big as the opening behind the seat and it's about 3 ft deep. That's it.
I have 17.1 hours in that plane (including a few hours before the number change)! Good times. :yes:

Working on my tailwheel endorsement in a 1941 J3, and plan to fly it for a while.

I started doing my TW too -but in a Champ. Well... I was until somebody ground looped it.

The first time I tried to take the thing off by myself I was totally unprepared for HOW MUCH control input (especially rudder) it required.

I was used to tiny inputs for the Remos. The Champ needed BIG inputs.

Back