Remos G3 or GX Baggage area

TDeb

Filing Flight Plan
Display Name

Display name:
TDeb
Hi, first time poster. After about 30 years I would like to get back into flying. I like the looks and specs of the Remos airplanes but can find little info on the baggage area. I see lots of pictures of the outside of the airplane, the panel, the seats, the engine, but nothing on the baggage area. These little airplanes seem to have one of the highest useful loads of all LSAs but what good does it do you if you only have room for a small overnight bag. Anyone know the dimensions of the baggage area? If there are any owners out there could you post a few pictures?

I don't know the dimensions, but the baggage area on GX is behind the seats. Seats must be removed from the airplane in order to access it. My usual bag fits, but the area is small indeed.

I think the baggage area in CTLS is more convenient because it allows independent access. It is also somewhat larger, because the fuel tanks are in the wings, but not by much.

But really, if baggage were my top concern, I'd get a Jabiru J-230, RANS S-7LS, or Bristell, depending on other constraints (e.g. on how much I hate and fear the Jabiru engine).

A picture of GX's baggage compartment does not seem to be easily available, but here's a picture where baggage lays on the ground. My bag is on the right, further away. It has enough capacity to keep my underwear for a week, a couple of shirts, and 1 warm raincoat.

Attachments

• 20110331_abq_remos_04.jpg
    20110331_abq_remos_04.jpg
    153.9 KB · Views: 35
As Zaitcev stated, the baggage area is behind the seat and is not very in terms of the square, but it is long so it can accommodate golf clubs, etc. If I had to guess, I’d say it’s about 12”x14” in opening, and depth is about the depth of a golf bag.

Note that the storage is behind the left seat. Behind the right seat is your 20 gallon fuel tank.

There is also some room on the parcel shelf behind the seat, but if you have the BRS, it’ll take up a good amount of that room. Also if you deploy the BRS, anything on the parcel shelf may get pulled out of the plane as well... though that’s the least of your problems if you deploy the ‘chute.

I really liked flying the Remos GX as it was pretty sturdy and had good flying characteristics, but baggage room is not one of its strong suits.

Have you looked at the CTLS? Good baggage areas. If what I read is correct about Remos, plane only has 21 gal fuel capacity? I would not like that.

The P2008 and the Astore have generous baggage areas as well.

If you’re looking for high useful load, consider a CTsw as well. Decent baggage area behind the seats (accessible via external door) and a little storage under your legs.

Sportcruiser (and Bristell) offer good baggage capacity, but are on the heavier side. If you can get an earlier Sportcruiser (2007-2009) you will probably have decent useful load. (Mine has 511.9 pounds of useful load). But not sure if you’re interested in a low wing or really keen on high wing only.

I don't know the dimensions, but the baggage area on GX is behind the seats. Seats must be removed from the airplane in order to access it. My usual bag fits, but the area is small indeed.

I think the baggage area in CTLS is more convenient because it allows independent access. It is also somewhat larger, because the fuel tanks are in the wings, but not by much.

But really, if baggage were my top concern, I'd get a Jabiru J-230, RANS S-7LS, or Bristell, depending on other constraints (e.g. on how much I hate and fear the Jabiru engine).

A picture of GX's baggage compartment does not seem to be easily available, but here's a picture where baggage lays on the ground. My bag is on the right, further away. It has enough capacity to keep my underwear for a week, a couple of shirts, and 1 warm raincoat.

Thanks zaitcev,
J-230/J-250 can't legally haul enough load. (only about 470 lbs) J-170 is a possibility but a little slow.
Not really interested in Rans S-7 (tandem taildragger) the S-6S might work but again a little slow.
Bristell looks great but is too expensive ($120 to $130k used with 500 hrs tt)

What I like about the Remos:
1. Useful load
2. Folding wings
3. Speed
4. Tricycle landing gear
5. Price (used)

Hi, first time poster. After about 30 years I would like to get back into flying. I like the looks and specs of the Remos airplanes but can find little info on the baggage area. I see lots of pictures of the outside of the airplane, the panel, the seats, the engine, but nothing on the baggage area. These little airplanes seem to have one of the highest useful loads of all LSAs but what good does it do you if you only have room for a small overnight bag. Anyone know the dimensions of the baggage area? If there are any owners out there could you post a few pictures?

Thanks for the replies.

I am looking for:
>120 mph cruise
>500 mile range
>575lb useful load, enough to haul 2 "full figured guys".
Baggage compartment big enough to hold 2 acoustic guitar cases.
prefer tricycle landing gear.
prefer folding or removable wings.
Either high or low wing.
< $70k used price

Other than baggage area, the Remos seems to fit the bill.

>120 mph cruise

I suspect that no LSA is going to make the speed when loaded. They get noticeably faster when solo. You can see them speed up as fuel is burned off. Just keep that in mind. The rest of your requirements is borderline impossible too, for sure impossible in 1 airplane. You'll have to pick your poison. Remos will not meet the baggage volume, Jabiru will not meet the (legal) payload, as you mentioned, the S-7 will be slow, etc. The folding wings are especially vexing - they are typically found on something like Aerotrek.

I went through a similar exercise before, and it just wasn't working out. I arrived at a need to pass 3rd Class and use a Private. Not eating cookies or other bakery was a big sacrifice, but it was the price for 140 knots cruise.

I have about 40 hours in Remos, both GX and G3 ( my primary training ), and was actually considering buying one but ultimately went with a different design ( Sting S4.)
Remos is not really fast ... I mean no LSA is but Remos was actually slower than CTLS , Sting , doesn’t have as much space volume as CTLS planes and the overall visibility from the cabin is poor compared to something like CTLS ( not to mention Stings .)
It was a fun plane to fly but there are , imho, better LSAs out there ...

The RV-12 meets your criteria but is legally limited to 120 KTS. A few LSAs are a little faster than the 120 limit but not by much. Next, I'd suggest an RV-6A but the wings will have to remain fixed. These can be found in the 45-65k price range with 550-650 useful load, depending on who built it and which wing it has. Newer models have a higher gross weight.

The RV-12 meets your criteria but is legally limited to 120 KTS. A few LSAs are a little faster than the 120 limit but not by much. Next, I'd suggest an RV-6A but the wings will have to remain fixed. These can be found in the 45-65k price range with 550-650 useful load, depending on who built it and which wing it has. Newer models have a higher gross weight.
Thanks for the reply Ray. The RV-12 is on my short list but the information I saw listed the useful load as 545 lbs. A little less than I would like but a possibility. Maybe my information is incorrect.

I suspect that no LSA is going to make the speed when loaded. They get noticeably faster when solo. You can see them speed up as fuel is burned off. Just keep that in mind. The rest of your requirements is borderline impossible too, for sure impossible in 1 airplane. You'll have to pick your poison. Remos will not meet the baggage volume, Jabiru will not meet the (legal) payload, as you mentioned, the S-7 will be slow, etc. The folding wings are especially vexing - they are typically found on something like Aerotrek.

I went through a similar exercise before, and it just wasn't working out. I arrived at a need to pass 3rd Class and use a Private. Not eating cookies or other bakery was a big sacrifice, but it was the price for 140 knots cruise.
The Aerotrek 240 appears to meet all of my requirements but I haven't seen any on the used market lately. The folding wings are because my local airport doesn't have available hanger space at this time.

My Jabiru does 120 knots (not miles) easy below 10,000 fully loaded. If I want to burn 30% more gas and exceed the LS rpm limit it will do around 130. Also plenty of baggage space.

I believe the new Gen 4 jabiru engines has addressed the growing pains. Plus social media can amplify one or two incidents way out of proportion. Stats in Australia are showing problems equal or less and L and C.

Last edited:
If I was going to buy a composite trigear lsa the Jabiru would be at the top of the list. I love the looks and the HUGE baggage area. Really neat planes.

My Jabiru does 120 knots (not miles) easy below 10,000 fully loaded. If I want to burn 30% more gas and exceed the LS rpm limit it will do around 130. Also plenty of baggage space.
I would love to get a J-230 but with 2 guys my size, to stay legal, there's only room for 5 gal of fuel.

Back