Relocating to Richmond (KFCI)

jdfrey1

Pre-Flight
Display Name

Display name:
Jeff Frey
I'm on the move again and relocating the family to Richmond, VA. I've already found a new home for the plane at KFCI - Richmond Executive in Chesterfield. With that I'd like to get some pireps from those of you who know or live in the area.

Specific questions -

Good mechanics/shops? I like helping with my annuals so anyone in the area that does owner assisted?

Good avionics shops?

Aviation groups?

Safety pilots? I'm an active instrument rated pilot. PM me if based there and we can trade info.

Good places to fly? I'm very familiar with the OBX but what in VA do I need to make sure to put on the list?

Join the DCPilots Yahoo board. You'll get good insight on some northerly destinations and activities. Several lists of places to visit in the archives there, some mention of commercial activities to use or avoid in your area. Political discussions and contentious issues get squashed pretty quickly, so the board stays useful.

Jeff, PM Andrew Stanley from this board. He lives in Glen Allen a Richmond Suburb. He is not actively flying but knows a ton about the area.

As for what to put on your list, well I recommend the following:

Luray Cavern's airport KLUA - Visit the Caverns

Cambell Field 9VG- Soup on sundays and their great weekend fly and camps

Shannon Airport KEZF - Tour Historic Fredericksburg

Windwood Flyin Resort West Virgina WV62- hike fish ski watch the leaves change and stay at the motel on the field ( on of my favorites)

Charlottesville KCHO - Check out UVA its beautiful and catch a Cavaliers game

Williamsburg KJGG- Tour Historic Williamsburg, Jamestown and York Town. Visit the College of William & Mary and catch a Tribe game!

That's weird. I used to live in Chesterfield, not to far from the airport, and almost moved to Champaign.

I think it will be a full day of flying but it's not a long hop from ocean city md to meet up for safety pilot time. When Mary likes to shop the outlets or downtown Berlin MD now I'll have a good reason to fly!

That's weird. I used to live in Chesterfield, not to far from the airport, and almost moved to Champaign.

A dear friend of mine went to school in Champaign, retired from the Army and now resides in Chesterfield. Not so weird.

Back