Relocated the plane to Texas!

Rykymus

Line Up and Wait
Display Name

Display name:
Rykymus
After getting all our possessions to our new home in Fairview, I flew back to Stockton CA to pickup my plane. (N9294Q) Departed Stockton Sunday morning around 0630 and flew to Lancaster (KWJF), then Blythe (KBLH) and then Tucson (KTUS). Millionair in Tucson got me a hotel room and rental car (called them from Blythe) for the night, and I pressed on the next morning around 0730, flying to El Paso (KELP), Midland (KMAF), then to McKinney TX (KTKI), where the plane will be stored.

I about two weeks before the trip, I got an IPC from my original IFR instructor. (I was current, but hadn't flown any actual for a few months and wanted to brush up.) I filed IFR for every leg, and pretty much got the routes I filed, except for the final leg from Midland to McKinney. I had filed north of Dallas, and they gave me south. Caught me by surprised, as I hadn't familiarized myself with the nav-aid and waypoint names in the area. Luckily, the lady giving clearances at Midland was very patient, repeating several times, and spelling things out for me. (Very nice)

Overall, the weather was fabulous the entire way. There was a little turbulence here and there, but nothing worth mention. Except for the departure from Midland, which was bumpy enough to make me consider just landing and calling it a day. Luckily, it smoothed out after about 30 minutes.

The journey ended with the RNAV rwy 36 into KTKI, descending through a small layer but coming out well above minimums. My wife (who was waiting at our new home in Fairview, which is under the approach to KTKI) even videoed me flying overhead on final. All in all, few mistakes were made, and the flight was easier than I had expected. (Playing music through my headsets really helped pass the time.)

Now, to go to DPS and get my Texas license, and make it official!

I don’t know.

Attachments

• 4C328F46-59A4-4E95-BBE3-E54627DD766B.jpeg
    4C328F46-59A4-4E95-BBE3-E54627DD766B.jpeg
    229.5 KB · Views: 48
Glad you had a safe flight long cross countries are always fun.

Nothing great. How do you post pictures?
Uh, you click the 'upload a file' button, select the picture.
or, sometimes I just copy and paste from the clipboard into the message.

Do not forget to get your Texas CHL. It gives you an extra State issued ID if you ever lose your driver's license.

If I'd known you were coming to Tucson I'd have bought you a beer. My hangar is right by Million Air and I'm working on another plane on the other side of runway 3/21 so I take perimeter road from my hangar to there. I saw your plane parked at Million Air and wondered who had a Cherokee parked among all those jets, it makes sense now.

Welcome to Texas! I drive up to the McKinney area frequently for work. Lots of hail damage from storms this year!

You probably missed one of our best controllers during your ABQ center to KELP hand-off. If slow, and he notices a California departure, he sometimes will joke "N12345 remain clear of the Texas airspace" followed by a fast "just kidding" ... your Tucson departure was good camouflage;)

Made the run back from Tucson to Houston on Monday as well....it was great weather and the tailwind was nice saw 160-65Knts most of the way back...welcome to Texas

Back